Mouse hover no longer works in Parallels 12

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by DaveG4, Jan 29, 2017.

1. DaveG4

DaveG4 Bit poster

Previously with Parallels 10, simply moving the mouse over my Linux VM was sufficient to activate it. I could move the mouse over the window and start typing into the active terminal. Now with Parallels 12, I have to move the mouse over and click on the VM before it becomes active. This seems to be true regardless of whether the VM is in full screen mode or not. It also seems to be true whether I have Mouse set to "Auto-detect for games", "Optimize for games" or "Don't Optimize for Games".

Is there a way to restore the old behavior?

2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi DaveG4,
    To start working in your virtual machine, you need first to capture the keyboard and mouse input in the virtual machine. To this effect:
    * Move the mouse pointer over the virtual machine window and
    * Click in the window.

When the keyboard and mouse input is captured in the virtual machine, you cannot move the pointer out of the virtual machine window and all keystrokes and button clicks go to the virtual machine. To release the keyboard and mouse back to the primary OS, press Ctrl+Alt. The keyboard and mouse will be released immediately.
    Note: The default hot key combinations can be configured on the Keyboard and Mouse pane of the Preferences dialog.

If you want to automatically capture and release the keyboard and mouse input when switching between the primary OS and the virtual machine, you should install Parallels Tools in your virtual machine. After the Parallels Tools installation, you can capture and release the mouse and keyboard input more easily:

* Click anywhere in the virtual machine window to capture the input
    * Click anywhere outside the virtual machine window to release the input.