MacFUSE - What is it?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Pagemakers, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Pagemakers

Pagemakers Member

MacFUSE has just appeared in my system preferences.

What is it and how did it get there without me knowing about it?

Could it be part of a Parallels update?

2. Peter Canasius J L

Peter Canasius J L Forum Maven

Hi Pagemakers,

MacFuse is a software that extends the filesystem support that is built into the Mac OS X kernel by acting as a bridge between the operating system and non-native filesystems. MacFUSE understands all the access methods and rules for working with a particular filesystem and then presents that information so that it looks like and works like a regular volume in OS X.

This very necessary for the smooth functioning of your Virtual Machine.

3. Pagemakers

Pagemakers Member

I've never seen it in preferences before even with Parallels installed so I removed it.

So now what will happen with it removed?

How do I go about reinstalling it?

4. Peter Canasius J L

Peter Canasius J L Forum Maven

5. hmolen

hmolen Member

Is this MacFUSE new in P4.0 ?
    I am still chicken and have not taken the plunge yet to 4.0 (although I bought it when it came out) so I am still running 3.0 and don't have MacFUSE in my prefs.

6. Pagemakers

Pagemakers Member

Will Parallels 4 run without MacFUSE installed?

7. Flagg

Flagg Hunter

hmolen,

MacFUSE was used in Parallels Desktop 3 as well.
    ---

Pagemakers,

No, you need MacFUSE for Parallels Desktop to run properly.

8. Pagemakers

Pagemakers Member

What will happen if it's not installed?

Why does it suddenly appear in system preferences when it wasn't there before?

9. Junap

Junap Bit poster

So is the difference just that MacFUSE has added a visible prefs panel? It's not even useful - just the option to check for updates?! Why do I need a system preferences panel for that?

10. Flagg

Flagg Hunter

Pagemakers, Junap,

It is used for mounting and working with virtual file systems, so no virtual machine would be able to run without it. Both Parallels Desktop 3 and 4 used it, but the versions were different. The most recent version has that preferences panel button, which lets you update it. I cannot say for sure, why the separate button, but it is very likely due to the fact that MacFUSE is never used by itself, but nevertheless needs to be managed. A preferences button would be the first thing that comes to mind.