Macbook 12" (2016) - Windows 10 + VS.NET 2015

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by TeszterB, Apr 25, 2016.

1. TeszterB

TeszterB Bit poster

Hi,

I would like to swtich my 2013-Mid Macbook Air to a new Macbook 1.3Ghz/512GB model.

Has anybody experiences with this configuration to run Parallels with Win10 + Visual Studio? If yes, then is it usable?

Thanks in adcance,
    Teszter

2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hello TeszterB, Please check out this article to know the compatibility of Parallels Desktop and Mac OS X. You have to buy Parallels Desktop Pro edition to get Visual Studio plug-ins.

3. TeszterB

TeszterB Bit poster

Dear Paul,

thank you but this article is about the operating system and not about hardware (Macbook) experience.

I would like to know _how_ Parallels on Macbook works, especially with W10/VS.NET.

Thank you

4. Sasti@Parallels

Sasti@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello TeszterB,
    If your Mac has enough memory to run Windows 10 Virtual Machine (1 GB for 32-bit and 2 GB for 64 -bit) with the system requirements met for VS.NET, then running VS.NET shouldn't be an issue. Like mentioned earlier, you need to have the Parallels Desktop Pro edition to get the Visual Studio plug-ins.

5. TeszterB

TeszterB Bit poster

Thank you Sasti.

"Like mentioned earlier, you need to have the Parallels Desktop Pro edition to get the Visual Studio plug-ins."

Pro has great features ie. remote debugging but I'm not sure that I need it, thank you anyway.

6. Sasti@Parallels

Sasti@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello TeszterB,
    That is understandable. You could always try the trial version of Parallels Desktop to determine the best suited version of Parallels Desktop. Feel free to get back to us any time.

7. GrahamW3

GrahamW3 Bit poster

I understand your question and have the same query, I suspect compilation and the cpu intensive bits like the tips and references would be slow but apparently the io on new MacBook is lightning fast... You'll struggle mainly because of a lack of ram... I am hoping to find someone who has used VS in Windows on parallels before committing.

If you do try it, let me know how you get on

8. KrisJ1

KrisJ1 Member

I would also be interested in any first hand experiences here.
    I am currently running the i7 variant of the 2013 MBA 11-inch and that thing is plenty fast for even quite large VS2015 projects on Windows 10, even though it only features 8GB of RAM.

However, I wonder ho the m7 version of the 2016 MB would fare in this regard. Depending on the source, performance of this device might or might not barely match that of the 2013 MBA models:

Geekbench :

MB2016 m7: 3000 single core, 6430 multi core

For the MBA 2013:
    http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/6409923

From this, I think the experience should be 'on par' or better, because storage will likely be faster...

9. KrisJ1

KrisJ1 Member

10. GrahamW3

GrahamW3 Bit poster

Well I've ordered one, so will report back when I have experience!

11. KrisJ1

KrisJ1 Member

Cool! Looking forward to the experience.

My girlfriend received a basic m5 model with 256GB SSD.

I spent the day installing the usual Office 365 and some other stuff and the things seems adequate. Starting Word takes 3 - 4 bounces of the icon. Here and there it indeed seems just a tad more laggy than my 2013 MBA 11 (i7).

Unfortunately, I am not yet allowed to install a parallels trial on the thing. I might give it a try later this week and also report back.

12. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hello All, please be informed that Parallels Desktop 11 Update 1 Hotfix 3 (11.1.3-32521) was released and the issue has been addressed. Please update Parallels Desktop to the latest build. Latest version always available here: http://www.parallels.com/directdownload/pd11/ Please note that Parallels Tools also needs to be updated (Actions > Update Parallels Tools) and let us know how it works. Thanks!

13. KrisJ1

KrisJ1 Member

I think this is an error. There is no mention of an issue in this thread??

14. GrahamW3

GrahamW3 Bit poster

Right a bit of feedback...

I have installed Parallels 11 and transferred an existing Windows 10 VM with VS 2015 from Macbook Pro to Macbook. All runs ok, however performance is (as expected) a lot slower... That said it is manageable! I plan to use this as a secondary machine for when I am in the office (2 days a week) and for general note taking and emails, as a low usage machine it is useable however if this is your primary development machine I wouldn't recommend it.

It's worth noting this is the m7 with 512gb storage. I've never been one for benchmark scores, but its comparable in use to a late 2000's middle of the road windows laptop (if that helps).

Performance aside, it really is a gorgeous laptop. The keyboard is really good to use and the screen is awesome.

If there are any specific things you want to know I can have a crack and give some feedback!

15. TeszterB

TeszterB Bit poster

Thank you, that's good to know. My plan was to buy the m7/512 version of the new MB...but no more:)

Can I ask? What's your experience (related to Parallels and VS.NET) after one month?

Thanks a lot!

16. GrahamW3

GrahamW3 Bit poster

Ok so I've been using it for a while now in the same vein (2 days using in the office as my main development machine) and it does start to lag under increased usage and on occasion I need to re-start the VM, but on the whole its pretty useable! Our solutions are pretty large so this can cause issues in debugging although again it is more than useable.

I would definitely say this is great as a secondary machine, but not as a primary.

On a different note the machine itself is awesome, the keyboard is lovely, it is silent and weighs next to nothing. The single USB-C port does present some issues when you want to plug into power and attach another peripheral but general day to day usage is really good.

Let me know if there are any specifics you need!

17. TeszterB

TeszterB Bit poster

Thank you for your detailed use-case. One question please: is it a Win10+VS.NET 2015 VM? (Our solutions are pretty huge too, 100-120 projects per .sln).

I have to say it's hard to chase away this little MacBook machine from my head:) It looks really awesome, light, and I could bring it to everywhere. But if it's sweat under a dev VM then I should to wait for the new 13" Pro:(

18. GrahamW3

GrahamW3 Bit poster

Yes it is, Win 10 + vs.net 2015. Our solution is only 50 projects (that sounded a lot to me, sounds like I was wrong :)).

The machine is beautiful, best laptop I've ever had in many respects! The battery life is awesome, and the screen is wonderful! But it isn't a primary development machine... Why not have both :)

PS, I don't work on commission or for Apple, lol...

19. TeszterB

TeszterB Bit poster

Thank you!:)