MAC OSX Sierra 10.12.1 Hard Drive Crash Parallels Desktop for MAC restore recover

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by JimmysMAC, Dec 7, 2016.

1. JimmysMAC

JimmysMAC Bit poster

My hard drive crashed. Fortunately I had it backed up with Time Machine.
    Unfortunately all apps but Apple system apps had to be reinstalled - EXCEPT Parallels.
    Parallels did loose where the .pvm file was located but a Window came up on boot asking if there was one and when to find it. Then after pointing it to the correct folder it seems to be working like nothing happened - Both windows and dos programs are working OK.
    I determined what to do from searching your forum and finding out to Transfer an existing virtual machine to a new MAC.
    I'm a happy camper.
    What I did -
    All my MAC files had been restored to there proper locations. I found where the .pvm file was located, went to the Parallels window that had opened on boot. It had a drop down window to find the virtual machine. I navigated to the file and selected it and selected the move button. The virtual machine started and Windows started up just like nothing ever happened.
    This is the only thing in this recovery process that has been easy.
    Since my forum search did not come up with a Subject directly related to recovering from a hard drive crash I added this hoping it will help someone else in the future.

2. WilliamS11

WilliamS11 Bit poster

Hi Jimmy, my iMac was hit with the Sierra black screen problem, leading to 4 hour Apple call and a clean install of of macOS 10.12.2. I'm looking at restore options. Two questions please: [1] Your reinstall of non-Apple/Paralles apps - was that an unavoidable necessity, or was it your preference (e.g., to avoid restoring extraneous clutter). [2] How many GB/TB were on the Mac HD before the disk crash, and how long did the TM restore run?

3. JimmysMAC

JimmysMAC Bit poster

Everything in the parallels VM worked without any reinstall necessary. The only reinstallation that was required was MAC applications other than MAC system applications (like MAC Mail, Calendar, Notes, etc). In other words ALL of the Windows apps (and DOS apps) restored without a problem. I had to reinstall applications on the MAC side like Adobe Creative suite MS Office for MAC, etc.
    I had a 1 TB hard drive with about 650 GB of used space. I left the computer run overnight for the restore but I think it took at least 3-4 hours as it was connected over a network. I had to reinstall the MAC apps as they would not run after the restore. Other than having to reinstall the MAC side apps I don't think I lost any data. Besides almost all data is stored on raided network drives. I replaced the drive with a hybrid 1 TB drive.
    Good luck

4. JohnW19

JohnW19 Bit poster

I had a disk crash. Looking to see if I can read virtual file over a sub connection to the crashed disk. I know it has just had file corruption in a specific area. I think I can find or copy the vm