Keyboard not working in windows after Parallels upgrade

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by AlyssaR1, Jan 26, 2017.

1. AlyssaR1

AlyssaR1 Bit poster

While using Parallels 12 (v 12.1.3) today, it wanted to upgrade. I clicked yes, it suspended Windows, upgraded and took quite a long time to upgrade. I had to reinstall Parallels Toolbox since that wasn't working correctly. Although it took quite awhile (say 15-20 min) it got back to it's normal work flow and I re-engaged in my Windows-based landscape program.
    When I got home, I discovered that my keyboard wasn't working in Windows. In fact, whenever I tried to hover over the Start Menu it sort of froze and took a few seconds/minutes to finally jump up. I tried several things... contacting support on twitter, going here http://kb.parallels.com/111674 and http://kb.parallels.com/en/123437, even changing both Mouse and Keyboard in Parallel Toolbox to "Don't optimize for games". I finally tried deleting the Parallels application and reinstalling. Nothing worked.
    So while the Start Menu is intermittently working, the keyboard won't and I need to use this for school. Has anyone had any problems after it updated itself? I was thinking of buying a wireless keyboard for the time being to see if that worked. My track pad is fine btw.

2. AlyssaR1

AlyssaR1 Bit poster

After being on the phone with support for 1/2 hr, then online for another 1/2 hr, reinstalling Parallels, and Windows... someone at a local computer shop said, it's Parallels that is the problem not Windows, go find an older version. So I did, reverted back to 12.1.2 and everything worked and loaded fast and fine. Keyboard works. Hopefully they fix this update soon! I'm not updating again!

3. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi AlyssaR1, are you able to install Parallels Tools in version 12.1.3? We request you to try installing Parallels Desktop 12.1.3 and follow the steps given below:
    1. Shutdown your virtual machine and open its configuration
    2. Switch to Hardware tab and choose Boot Order menu.
    3. Expand Advanced Settings menu and insert the following flag in the Boot flags box:
    devices.usb.keyboard=0; devices.usb.mouse=0

4. AlyssaR1

AlyssaR1 Bit poster

Hi Paul Chris, thanks for your reply. I'd love to fix this once I'm done school this Term or perhaps Winter break. I don't want it to mess up my computer again when I have assignments due and we are spending hours on our laptop working on assignments :)

When I was on the phone/online with support, we reinstalled Parallels 12.1.3 (for the third time), reinstalled Windows 10 (kept apps/settings) and their next step they told me was reinstall (again) the virtual Windows machine from scratch (wipe everything). I hadn't tried the flag you mentioned. Will try that once I have time to try on my laptop. Thanks.

5. Raj@Parallels

Raj@Parallels Guest

Please give a try once you have a time and keep us posted the result.

6. AlyssaR1

AlyssaR1 Bit poster

I reinstalled tonight. Once the Toolbox had updated itself and restarted Windows, it still took a very long time to start and give me the same bad prompt of "user not found" etc, which I just pressed the spacebar. I shut it down and started.. so far the keyboard works. I couldn't figure out how to get into the Config screen without it (Windows) being on/running though :(

7. AlyssaR1

AlyssaR1 Bit poster

I checked again and mysteriously the keyboard has stopped working. I'll try the commands you suggested

8. AlyssaR1

AlyssaR1 Bit poster

I shut down windows, added the commands, and did the long arduous process of starting up. It still gave the 'User now found' command, but once i did a few work arounds, it seemed fine. So good news is it works for now...

9. AlyssaR1

AlyssaR1 Bit poster

Now none of my new files that I've created in the Windows specific program Dynascape will work for me. I reinstalled the original Parallels and clicks restore factory defaults. And what happens? I'm now in Dos and it won't boot. I've now wasted at least 2 hours tonight because I AGAIN tried to follow your advice and update. Nothing works now. I don't know what to do.

10. AlyssaR1

AlyssaR1 Bit poster

I tried calling and entering in my support number and it now says my ticket has expired and I don't qualify for phone support?! So now that I've followed your directions and they don't work, how exactly do I fix this problem?!

11. TinaA

TinaA Junior Member

I updated to PD 17 last night, which I run on my MacBook Air, for the purpose of having a Windows guest OS.
    After the update, the hardware settings were all awry and I didn't know how to fix them, so I reinstall the PD 16 version. Now the display and mouse in Windows are fine, but it doesn't respond to the keyboard at all. Any ideas what I should do?