Keyboard not working in Edge or Cortina

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by RLDumfries, Jan 28, 2017.

1. RLDumfries

RLDumfries Member

Running latest versions of all mac, parallels software, and latest update to windows 10. I tried typing an URL in Edge but no characters appeared. Then tried typing in a search in cortina, and again, no characters appeared.

I reinstalled Parallels tools and reset windows 10 but I still cannot type in Edge nor cortina.

Any ideas?

2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi, this issue might have occurred because of Windows user profiles corrupt. Please try the following steps to resolve the issue:
    1. Right-click the Start button and select Command Prompt (run as Administrator) from the context menu.
    2. Type Powershell in Command Prompt and press Enter.
    3.Paste the following text in the Powershell window and press Enter.
    Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

3. RLDumfries

RLDumfries Member

I tried the steps above and the script seemed to have processed. I did get several errors messages but scrolled by to fast to capture them. However, I still have the same issue of not being able to type in the address windows of edge, nor cortana.

Was I supposed to restart windows after running the script (I did not)?

PS. Just tried IE and I was able to type info, so it must be an Edge/Cortana issue.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  4. Dinesh@Parallels

Dinesh@Parallels Guest

Please create a new user profile on Windows 10 and check the behaviour.

5. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2017
  6. Raj@Parallels

Raj@Parallels Guest

Even Windows PC users facing the issue, click here and check all replied for more information.
    Try creating new user account in Windows virtual machine.

7. HeathA

HeathA Bit poster

I have the same issue and Microsoft Tech Support reloaded windows and still no fix. Now they won't support me on it because its a virtual machine. They said contact Parallels or Apple. Looks like everyone is blaming each other, What the deal Paralells? Do I have to pay for the phone support now? Not impressed. Own it and fix it!

8. AndrzejL

AndrzejL Bit poster

I have exactly the same issue, any idea?

9. RLDumfries

RLDumfries Member

I had to do a refresh reinstall windows and that solved this issue and others I was having.

10. Karthik@Parallels

Karthik@Parallels Member

@HeathA , @AndrzejL Hi! please try these steps- Start Windows > Run > copy/paste this command as is 'C:\Windows\system32\ctfmon.exe' (without quotes) > Restart Windows 10.

JameH likes this.
  11. jwynn9154

jwynn9154 Junior Member

Karthik, I've had the same problem, and the c:\windows\system32\ctfmon.exe fix works transiently. Does not 'stick' from session to session, however, and have to re-enter the command every time I open Windows in Parallels (which I do by copying and pasting into Cortana).

JW

12. Karthik@Parallels

Karthik@Parallels Member

@jwynn9154 You can try these steps-
    1. Navigate to the folder C:\Windows\System32
    2. Locate ctfmon (Application)
    3. Right-click > Send to > Desktop (Create shortcut)
    4. Open run > type ' shell:startup ' (without quotes)
    5. Drag & drop the ctfmon shortcut placed in the Desktop to the Startup folder.
    6. Restart Windows & observe if the issue re-appears.

13. jwynn9154

jwynn9154 Junior Member

Karthik, that works perfectly. Thanks.

14. Swati@Parallels

Swati@Parallels

Sounds great. Please feel free to reach us anytime.

15. RobertP9

RobertP9 Bit poster

Karthik, I had the same problem and the fix of incorporating the ctfmon shortcut in my startup folder worked for me. Thanks

16. PaulChristopher@Parallels

That's great @RobertP9 Please let us know if you have any questions in the product and we are here to help!

17. JameH

JameH Bit poster

Awesome ... I've been pulling my hair out over this and have tried almost everything. Running CTFMon worked though. Thanks!

18. Meenakshi@Parallels

Meenakshi@Parallels Pro

Glad to know that you were able to sort out the issue. Please get back to us for any further queries. Thanks!

19. agman

agman Bit poster

Karthik's solution worked great but it took a while for windows to re-open so be patient. also had to navigate to shell:startup since I couldn't type to find the run command

20. PaulChristopher@Parallels

That's great @agman We are happy to help!