Installing on second computer

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by RLDumfries, Apr 8, 2016.

1. RLDumfries

RLDumfries Member

i will be getting a laptop soon for use when traveling. Will I be able to install parallels on this second machine?

2. Sylvester@Parallels

Sylvester@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi,
    You can move your Parallels Desktop license to your laptop by following this article

3. RLDumfries

RLDumfries Member

I assume from your reply, then, that I will be able to parallels 11 on two, computers not being used at the same time. Correct?

4. RLDumfries

RLDumfries Member

Oops, should be ' I will NOT be able...

5. Hi, you can use 1 Parallels Desktop license for 1 Mac, and also you can transfer you Parallels Desktop license from 1 Mac to another.

6. RLDumfries

RLDumfries Member

Thanks.

7. RLDumfries

RLDumfries Member

One last question (and I ask this because I am lazy). Does parallels have to be physically REMOVED from one computer before it can be installed on the second one, or can is just be DEACTIVATED? I'm thinking of transferring just some of my windows software to the second computer. So could I just activate/deactivate parallels depending on which computer I want to use? Or must parallels physically reside on only one.

Thanks.

8. Arunn

Arunn Parallels Support

HI, you need to uninstall Parallels Desktop from the old Mac and then install and activate it on your new Mac to ensure the activation is successful.

9. RLDumfries

RLDumfries Member

Thanks. Just may have to buy another license

10. Hello RLDumfries,
    If you would like to transfer your Windows application to your second computer, we request you to install our Parallels Desktop 14 days trial version on your second computer.
    After transferring all the applications to your second machine kindly uninstall Parallels Desktop from your old Mac and then activate the Parallels Desktop in your second computer using the same license key.

11. RLDumfries

RLDumfries Member

Thanks for the great suggestion. This way, I can make sure that when I copy my windows vm it will work. Then I should be able to remove Windows programs that I do not want on that computer from the second computer, correct?
    Here's the reason for this thread - I just want to make sure that my windows fm will work on the second computer before I spend money on a second license.

Any flaws in my Logic?

12. Yes, you are right.
    Kindly go through the article to get a detailed description on how to transfer an existing virtual machine to a new Mac.
    We also suggest you to keep a backup of your Windows.pvm file if in case anything goes wrong we can recover the Windows OS using the backup file.

13. RLDumfries

RLDumfries Member

Thank you very much.

14. You're very welcome! Feel free to reach out anytime, we're always here to help!

15. RLDumfries

RLDumfries Member

I just wanted to let you know that, using the trial version, I successfully transferred the Windows pvm to my laptop.now,that is done, I will purchase a new license.

Did notice something strange. My original PVM was 170gb in size. After transfer and removal of all Windows programs except,the two I wanted on my laptop, the PVM grew to 174gb after compacting. What could account for this?

16. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi, plz refer to this article to check all the big tiles by selecting them. Disk Inventory X will show you the detailed file description in the Information window.

17. JoscelinV

JoscelinV Bit poster

i bought an upgrade of parallels and i used a different email address (that i forgot its password), so must i repurchase another key? cuz there's a requirement of verification using the code i received a year ago, that i obviously forgot.... HELP(i heard paralles dekstop doesnt accept money back)
    >>>> josce1109@126.com