Installing El Capitan on a physical partition

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by VincentP4, Apr 11, 2017.

1. VincentP4

VincentP4 Junior Member

I successfully installed El Capitan in Parallels 12 and it resides in an image file ( .pvm ).

Is there a way to install it on a physical hard drive partition like on my external Thunderbolt drive?

2. rkulikov

rkulikov Parallels Developers

> Is there a way to install it on a physical hard drive partition like on my external Thunderbolt drive?

Of course, you can install El Capitan on a physical drive. But how does this relate to Mac OS Guest OS discussion?

3. VincentP4

VincentP4 Junior Member

I have a late 2016 and BP, and I cannot install El Capitan as it lacks drivers for the new hardware. I am able to run El Capitan in parallels, but it is slow. I was hoping to speed things up on a physical partition.

I want to be able to run the old Xcode on my new Mac, So if I'm going to run El Capitan, it will have to be as a guest OS.

4. rkulikov

rkulikov Parallels Developers

> I have a late 2016 and BP, and I cannot install El Capitan as it lacks drivers for the new hardware. I am able to run El Capitan in parallels, but it is slow. I was hoping to
    > speed things up on a physical partition.
    > I want to be able to run the old Xcode on my new Mac, So if I'm going to run El Capitan, it will have to be as a guest OS.

I got it. First of all, there's no official way to run macOS guest from physical partition. You can run this guest type only from a virtual disk. Secondly, likely you'll not get significant performance improvement switching from virtual to physical disk. Especially on SSD. It better to give more CPU cores and RAM to macOS guest to speed up it.

5. VincentP4

VincentP4 Junior Member

ok, thanks..