I cannot launch my virtual machine - "the bundle does not contain a valid Parallels virtaul machine.

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by RobD3, Jul 19, 2017.

1. RobD3

RobD3 Bit poster

I have space issues on my Macbook Pro and my virtual machine has been slowly creeping up in size.
    I run Windows 10 on Parallels 12 with the latest version of Mac OSX
    So I (foolishly) deleted ALL of my documents on the Windows side to free up some space. It freed up 40 GB but before it was done it crashed my VM.
    I get a Red question mark in the control centre and then when I try to launch from the parallels icon at the top i get the following error message.
    The error message reads
    <<The bundle does not contain a valid Parallels virtual machine
    Help me solve this problem
    Problem ID: 15195>>
    Check this solution with solution providing a link to the explanation below - See under <<Cause>> , below
    The issue I have is that while the 1st cause describes my situation none of the 3 resolutions seems to fit my problem.

Suggestions??
    Thanks
    Rob

Cause
    1. Virtual machines's bundle (.pvm file) does not contain config.pvs file necessary for the Virtual machine to run.

2. You are trying to run virtual machine from User account which does not have appropriate permissions.

3. Virtual machine migrated from a real PC was not migrated properly.
    Resolution 1
    Note: If your Virtual Machine was migrated from a real PC, please perform migration once again.

Config.pvs file was deleted manually by mistake or is missing as a result of incorrect or incomplete copying of this Virtual machine's bundle from another place (external storage, other Mac etc.)

Resolution 2
    Try to find a standalone config.pvs (not as a part of the .PVM bundle) on your Mac using Spotlight.

Another way to make the Virtual machine running is to create a new virtual machine using "Continue without disc" option and then attach the existing .hdd bundle to this new Virtual machine.

To do it please choose "New" from the Parallels Desktop menubar, then choose "New installation from DVD or image file". In the "Install from:" field please choose "Continue without disk" and click "Continue"

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Proceed with creating a new Virtual machine to the stage of choosing Name and Location.

Check the "Customize settings before installation" check-box and click "Continue".

[​IMG][​IMG]
    When Configuration window opens click on "Hard Disk 1" and from the "Source" list choose "Choose an image file".

[​IMG][​IMG]
    In the "Open" window navigate to the .pvm bundle you wanted to register, open it, click on .hdd file, open it and locate another .hdd file. Click on it and click "Open"

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Close Configuration window and click "Continue" to start this Virtual machine. The new Virtual machine should start normally.

Resolution 3
    In case you are trying to run the virtual machine from another User account, please follow instructions in the article below:

9303 How to share a VM with several user accounts on a Mac

2. Swati@Parallels

Swati@Parallels

Hello RobD3, thank you so much for sharing this workaround. We are glad to see your active participation and appreciate it.

3. RobD3

RobD3 Bit poster

Thanks for the expression of gratitude but if you look carefully at the top of my post you'll see that none of the r solutions that I cut and pasted from the Parallels help actually seem to apply to my situation. I was looking for help because of that.
    I cannot use my Virtual Machine at as it stands. Can you review and see if you have any suggestions that will allow me to make use of my if it again

4. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Hello RobD3,
    I have understand that you have deleted DOCUMENTS from Windows side, but it seems actually the Windows VM was showing the DOCUMENTS folder on the Mac side and you have deleted the .pvm file which was saved under Documents/Parallels folder that is the reason Control Center shows question mark representing .pvm file is missing. If you have a backup or Time machine then we can recover the virtual machine.

5. RobD3

RobD3 Bit poster

Thanks Ajith. That actually occurred to me so I did recover a six day old version about a week ago.

As my space on my Mac is limited I have a related question:
    I am backing up my Mac to my time capsule on a daily basis.
    Given this do I need to create and maintain snapshots??
    If not I could save myself a significant amount of space.

6. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @RobD3, Parallels Desktop for Mac includes improved integration with Time Machine. When your virtual machine is backed up, only the most recent changes are saved (the latest snapshot), so the backup process takes less time and uses less space on your Time Machine storage device.