How to setup a network in a MS-DOS VM

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by JimB7, Sep 16, 2017.

1. JimB7

JimB7 Bit poster

Hi, my first post. I have setup a MS DOS v6.22 VM in Parallels Desktop for Mac Pro Edition running on macOS 10.12.6 (Sierra).
    I have enabled the network using the shared network, but am unsure as how to proceed...

1. How do I setup MS-DOS to connect to the virtual network (I believe it's an Intel Pro/1000 MT?
    2. If this is setup using drivers in the config.sys, where do I get them from, does Parallels supply them?
    3. Will I be able to transfer files to and throw from my Mac OS?
    4. Is there an easier way to transfer files to and from my host OS, rather than a shared network?
    Sorry for all the Q's, but can anyone help/guide me in the right direction?

Cheers, Jim

2. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  3. JimB7

JimB7 Bit poster

Thanks Elric for your reply. I'll look into this today/tomorrow.
    Funny thing is I still can remember most of the DOS things i.e. how to setup a config.sys , autoexec.bat etc, but I can't remember what I did yesterday! Age is catching up on me (60, this Friday!). I could always install Windows 3.11 with Networking, as I still have the disks somewhere... I' bet it would load/run like a scalded cat under Parallels!
    I need DOS because I need to view old Protel Autotrax PCB files which I'm in the process of creating an automated service that will be on my web site (www.jims-blog.com) that will converting these files for other users to the KiCAD PCB format.
    I'll write back on my success or failure here.
    Thanks for your reply.

4. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

If you want, send me your email via private message.. I've found a couple of floppy-disk images which allow to work network in MSDOS and can send them to you.

JimB7 likes this.
  5. JimB7

JimB7 Bit poster

Sorry Elric, can't start a conversation with you. All I get is: upload_2017-9-21_21-21-14.png

6. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Interesting... looks like conversations with me are somehow disabled. I haven't found how to enable it.
    Anyway, I've sent you a message.

7. BillC1

BillC1 Junior Member

Did you ever figure this out? I'd like to get FreeDOS networking set up in a VM.

8. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hi,
    I've uploaded a couple of images to my google.drive https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7WrJC1L5tyQU1BTNzMzdVEtUG8
    As far as I can remember, one is for intel e1000 network card and one for realtek
    I've experimented with that images a lot of time ago, so likely will not be able to help