how to improve battery life macOS Sierra and Windows 10 (Parallels 13 Pro)

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by derek68, Sep 6, 2017.

1. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

2. TimD6

TimD6 Bit poster

I am having this exact issue!
    Is there a simple solution yet?

3. YongkookK

YongkookK Bit poster

I have the same issue...I read so many customer posts experiencing battery issue with new MBP w/ touch strip...Parallels, can you at least make a one page web site shows how to collect data for trouble shoot and perhaps short term resolution is?

4. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi All, please follow the steps mentioned below to improve the battery performance in Windows virtual machine:

a) Open Task manager and check what process is taking the most resources (CPU and memory). Enable "Show processes from all users" to see more details. Perhaps some memory intense application just needs more RAM allocated to the Virtual machine.

b) If the process that is consuming the most CPU is prl_cc.exe or Coherence.exe or prl_tools.exe then you need to uninstall and reinstall Parallels Tools.

c) Mac OS X seems to sometimes fail to properly manage Inactive memory.
    open Terminal and issue the following command:

purge

it will clear the Inactive memory and (most probably) make Mac faster. It may also reveal that Parallels Desktop (or the Virtual machine) is not taking extra (unexpected) memory. Note: purge utility is not always present on the Mac.

5. BruceM2

BruceM2 Bit poster

Same problem 2018 13" with touchbar, only using MS Office, battery life only 3 hours

6. CraigW9

CraigW9 Bit poster

Same here, MacBook Pro 15" 2017 (only about 4 months old). I was literally watching the battery % counting down. Almost 1% a minute.

7. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

8. JoshuaK3

JoshuaK3 Bit poster

2018 MBP 3 hours max, can't go on a long flight or I'm dead.

9. RobertK20

RobertK20 Bit poster

Same here - MBP 2017 - not even 3 hours.
    This is very disappointing since I am a huge fan of Parallels on Mac, but this is not usable - without a fix I will switch back to VMware Fusion Pro.
    Please find the root cause and fix it.

10. JayS7

JayS7 Bit poster

Have a 2012 Mac Book Air running Parallels 13 and Windows 10 with High Sierra as the host.
    I Just replaced the MAC battery.
    After 1 hour it dies. I now have not loaded Parallels and have 5+ hours of battery.
    All I use is MS Office, the EDGE browser and Quicken for Windows.
    What gives?

11. JoshuaK3

JoshuaK3 Bit poster

From the evidence here it's clear it's not a unique issue so with all due respect you have a sufficient time to analyze this issue. As a community we are always happy to help but we pay for ongoing support. Fix the issue.

12. JayS7

JayS7 Bit poster

So this post started almost a year ago and yet we have no solution.
    Things should not take a year to correct.
    When will it be corrected?

13. RobelT

RobelT Bit poster

Technical support ID: 269864845
    Can't get more than 1.5 hours when Parallels in running on a new MacBook pro Touchbar.

14. JayS7

JayS7 Bit poster

WELL? An acknowledgement would be nice.

15. RobertK20

RobertK20 Bit poster

I agree, an official statement would be nice. Come on guys, you can do better than that!

16. JayS7

JayS7 Bit poster

I think I found an answer!
    I turned off Cortana's speech function! Windows settings>Cortana> Hey Cortana> Let Cortana respond to "Hey Cortana"> turn off
    I am testing it now but I have 4hrs 51 minutes on the battery now where I had 1hr 30 min before.
    Keep your fingers crossed.

17. RobertK20

RobertK20 Bit poster

Not applicable for macOS users!

18. JayS7

JayS7 Bit poster

Ok folks I have gotten 3hrs and 12 min without Cortana. I did not have travel mode will try it with travel mode on after a recharge for the MacBook. Much better than 1hr 30 min!

19. JayS7

JayS7 Bit poster

Why not? Aren't you using windows 10 as your VM? I am with High Sierra as the host.
    Just go into the Windows settings and
    change them as above.

20. RobertK20

RobertK20 Bit poster

No, mostly Windows Server 2012 R2 or 2016 within may lab environment or CentOS.