How do I get Windows 10 to correctly identify the version of my OpenGL?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by SteveS4, Jun 28, 2017.

1. SteveS4

SteveS4 Junior Member

First - Important hardware & software information:
    Operating system -
    Mac OS Sierra Version 10.12.5
    Computer - iMac (27 inch, Late 2012)
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX OPenGL Engine
    NVIDIA Corporation
    OPenGLVersion -
    4.1 NVIDIA - 10.18.5 378.05.05f01
    OpenCL Platform - OpenCL 1.2 (Apr 4 2017 19:07:42) (Full Profile)
    Metal Platform - Features: 1v1, 1v2
    Processor - 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40 GHz x 8
    Features - Ivy Bridge (Model 3ah, Family 6h, Stepping 9h), SSE3 SSSE3 SSE4.1 SSE4.2 AVX
    Video Memory - 2048 MB
    System Memory - 32768 MB
    Software - Mac OS X 10.12.5 (16F73)
    Model ID - iMac 13,2
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    The problem that I encountered and am attempting to resolve:
    I had no problems whatsoever, installing, starting up, and using my 3D software application, SideFX Houdini 16 on my iMac (within the current Mac OS Sierra operating system).

However, when I attempted to startup (after a successful installation) the same SideFX Houdini 16 (Windows version) in Windows 10 (latest version) within Parallels Desktop (the latest version) on the same computer the following error message appeared as the software began to load:

OpenGL Fatal Error - The installed OpenGL driver is not able to run OpenGL 3.3
    Please update the driver and check the minimum system requirements for Houdini (www.sidefx.com/sysreq)

SideFX's current system requirements clearly state -
    A GL3.3 compliant graphics card
    is required. GL4.0+ is highly recommended. (My OpenGL is version 4.1)
    Graphics card must support OpenCL version 1.2. - (My Open CL is version 1.2)

Since both operating systems are running on the same computer and using the same hardware resources,
    why is Windows 10 / SideFX Houdini 16 software not recognizing my iMac's Open GL (4.1) that my NVIDIA graphics card clearly supports?
    Is there a known / effective solution to correct this disparity between the 2 operating systems?

Perhaps the Parallels tech support team is aware of this anomaly and possibly can suggest or is working on a fix for this.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hello @SteveS4, Parallels Desktop supports OpenGL 2.1 driver. While Parallels strives to provide the best Mac virtualization platform, Parallels Desktop for Mac is subject to a host operating system and its limitations. Unfortunately, the documentation for the macOS graphics driver API required to implement OpenGL support in macOS and Linux guest systems does not exist, meaning we are currently unable to create this functionality.

We maintain a good relationship with Apple and have discussed the aforementioned concerns with them. We closely monitor any API Reference documentation changes at developer.apple.com in the hopes of receiving the required instructions from Apple, but we do not have them as of yet. Please rest assured that we do want to implement better graphics support for guest systems, and once we have the necessary documentation, we will create the functionality to do so.

3. SteveS4

SteveS4 Junior Member

Thank you for your prompt response. Greatly appreciated.

4. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

You're welcome! @SteveS4 Feel free to reach out anytime. We are here to help!