Having trouble automating importing settings

Discussion in 'Parallels Client for Windows' started by BenD2, Aug 7, 2017.

1. BenD2

BenD2 Bit poster

Hi guys,

I'm getting ready to update everyone's computers in my medium-small company with the newest version of parallels, and I'm trying to put together a small batch file that will make things easier (so I don't have to go to every computer and update it manually).

I'm basing it off of the pages here: http://kb.parallels.com/123750
    and here: http://kb.parallels.com/en/123211

However, whenever it runs it installs the new version correctly, but instead of loading the configuration file it instead deletes it! any suggestions?
    code below:
    [msiexec /qn /i "network share location\RASClient-x64-16.0.18324.msi" DEFSETTINGS="local config location\moi_41.2xc" OVERRIDEUSERSETTINGS=1]

2. jpc

jpc Pro

@BenD2 If you are simply upgrading, you do not need to force the settings file. Settings are kept in between updates. I think that if the path specified by "local config location\moi_41.2xc" is the same as the one used by the "Parallels Client" to store its settings, then it may not work because you would be reading and writing to the same file.

3. BenD2

BenD2 Bit poster

@jpc thanks for the response, the issue is we would also like to change to a new configuration, and some of the computers we plan on rolling this out to do not currently have parallels on it.

4. jpc

jpc Pro

Well, in that case, you should make sure that the 2xc file is copied for each installation as the file you pass to DEFSETTINGS gets deleted after successful installation. Also, none of this will work if the same version or a newer version is already installed.

For settings, it may be worthwhile to look into the policies area of Parallels RAS to be able to change configuration settings without upgrading the client.