Entering Coherent view turns all windows panels grey/blank

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by JoseV3, Jan 3, 2017.

1. JoseV3

JoseV3 Bit poster

Entering "Coherence" view turns windows blank / grey - nothing showing. Even alert windows and Parallels Control center small window just show a blank / grey window. The only way to restore the Windows 10 is to exit "Coherence" view.
    Current software: Parallels Desktop 12 for Mac, Version 12.1.1 (41491)
    Help.
    Thank you

2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi JoseV3,
    The issue is may be caused by one of these two drivers installed in your system :
    ATI PCI Express(3GIO) Filter Driver
    AMD PCI Express(3GIO) Filter Driver
    As a probable solution please perform the steps below:
    1. Please take a snapshot of the Virtual Machine before performing the instructions: in Mac menu bar go to Virtual machine > Take a snaps
    2. Go to Device Manager (to access Device Manager, go to Control Panel > System and Maintenance > System > Device Manager)
    3. Expand "System Devices"
    4. Find the corresponding driver, (in our example - "ATI PCI Express(3GIO) Filter Driver"), right-click on it and select "Uninstall".
    5. Tick "Delete the driver software for this device" (IMPORTANT)
    6. Reboot
    7. Check and make sure that the driver has been deleted.
    8. Reinstall Parallels Tools and check the issue.

3. JoseV3

JoseV3 Bit poster

Unable to find files. Also, had problems following instructions as Windows 10 seem to have a different structure/nomenclature....For example, there is not "System and Maintenance" in control Panel. There is, however, "System and Security". Nonetheless, I was able to find the Device Manager and expand it, but no ATI PCI Express driver.

Attached Files:

4. JoseV3

JoseV3 Bit poster

Still experiencing problems. In addition, now at every start, Parallels requires my Admin name and password to "begin installation." See attached.

Attached Files:

5. You can enter your name and pass,
    and if you don't want to enter it every time you can uncheck options for the password requirement in Parallels Desktop preferences -> Security -> Require password to..

6. CarlosB1

CarlosB1 Bit poster

I had the same problem.

I purchased Parallels Desktop for Mac Pro edition one week ago. I have a Windows 10 Pro 64-bit .iso loaded in a single virtual machine. I am not using Boot Camp. Until today, I was able to enter and exit Coherence mode with no problem; while in Coherence mode all Windows panes appeared normally and while out of Coherence mode all Windows applications appeared in the Windows 10 frame normally. I also have DuetDisplay installed on my Mac and my iPad, and have been able to use both Coherence and normal mode on both displays when shared through Duet with no issues whatsoever. I enjoy Coherence so much that I set it to my default view mode, and have had no problems at all with it since installed... until today.

Today, when I entered Coherence mode, I noticed that the taskbar was a solid grey bar, and any Windows applications that I opened were solid grey rectangles. When I exit Coherence mode they show up fine. I am running macOS Sierra 10.12.4. My hardware is a late 2016 MacBook Pro 13-inch. I have reinstalled Parallels Tools. I do not see any of the PCI Express drivers listed in my System devices in Windows. Restarting the VM has no effect. Changing the resolution in the VM has no effect. Changing the resolution in the Control Center has no effect. Restarting the MacBook has no effect. The forums do not appear to have a lot of content on this topic.

Finally I stumbled upon the Graphics menu in my Windows 10 Settings, accessed from Control Center while the VM was turned off. I increased the memory allocation from the default (512MB) to 1024MB, and lo! My Coherence mode is happy once again. Hope this helps anyone who has a similar issue.

Parallels team, you have a very nice product. I'm enjoying it a lot.

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  7. Hi @CarlosB1 thank you for sharing detailed info about the issue and your results.
    Please let us know if you have any questions.

8. JoseV3

JoseV3 Bit poster

PaulChris, Thank you for the advice. It took some digging to follow your instructions as my menus were different from what you indicated. At any rate, these drivers were not in the "system Devices".

9. JoseV3

JoseV3 Bit poster

CarlosB1, It worked! I tried everything else (to some frustration), but you got it! Thank you!

10. VChargeA

VChargeA Bit poster

Than you so much! I have had this issue for months and after increasing memory allocation it is fixed!

11. ubeauty

ubeauty Junior Member

Same for me. Many thanks.

12. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Hi VChargeA and ubeauty,
    We are glad to see that the issue with coherence view was resolved. Feel free to reach us anytime for support.

13. SteveJ6

SteveJ6 Bit poster

Installed Mac OS 10.12.6 update today (from 10.12.5) and my coherence mode (Windows 10) did as mentioned above. Changed my graphics memory allocation in the Parallels Control Center from 512MB to 754MB and it now works.

14. JoseV3

JoseV3 Bit poster

Changing graphic memory resolved my "grey" coherent window issue, however, slowed down performance of my computer. These issues (coherent issue, need for more graphic memory and effects on computer performance) need to be addressed by Parallel. It looks like we are performing a work around that affects Parallel advertise performance.

15. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

That's great @SteveJ6! Feel free to reach out anytime. We are here to help!

16. BrianB3

BrianB3 Bit poster

The Grey coherence screen only happens on my user's Mac when he updates the MacOS. We have 2GB of graphic memory assigned to the PVM.
    We resolve it with the following steps:
    1. making sure the Windows pvm is in coherence
    2. opening the Control Center
    3. Powering down the PVM using the power button on the Control Center window (not through the Action menu or through the Windows start button)
    4. Powering back up using the same power button on the Control Center window.
    Issue is resolved until the Mac updates again.

17. DarrylH1

DarrylH1 Bit poster

Thanks very much BrianB3. This fixed my issue. I had originally increased the amount of graphic memory assigned to the PVM which resolved the issue for a few weeks, then suddenly it recurred. Adding more graphic memory did not resolve the problem the second time around, but your trick of powering off the PVM using the power button on the Control Center seems to have done the trick, for now.

Very much hoping that Parallels comes out with a patch for this ASAP.

18. UmeshK

UmeshK Bit poster

Allotting extra memory does not work. Entering coherence makes screen grey, so not possible to power down PVM as suggested. Using Parallels desktop 12. Please issue an update to resolve it.

19. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Parallels Desktop 12 is no longer supported and has reached end of life. We suggest you upgrade to the latest Parallels Desktop version if you have a compatible macOS X to use Parallels Desktop.

20. HaraldF

HaraldF Bit poster

It also happens with parallels 14 or 15 (Testversion), I have a similar same problem.
    I was using safari in sidecar and parallels in coherence mode, cursor disappeared, after 1 Minute Mac Catalina shut down, after restart parallels was not working in coherence any more.
    I only can see the open windows in Control Center.