Disable external display

Discussion in 'Parallels Toolbox Feature Suggestions' started by AdamC6, Dec 3, 2017.

1. AdamC6

AdamC6 Bit poster

Hello,
    It would be very helpful to me to have a feature to disable external display.
    I have a workplace setup for my Macbook Pro 15" with one external monitor and one TV.
    I work mostly with the internal display and the external monitor, but sometimes I need the TV also.
    The problem is that I have to plug and unplug the TV each time I need it, because macOS always see the TV when the TV is on.
    For example, if I watch a TV network or another HDMI input, the Mac see the TV and open some system windows on it that I cannot see.
    On the system preference it's not possible to ignore the TV screen, so I have to unplug it, very annoying.
    There is two software AFAIK that support this feature:
    SwitchResX
    DisableMonitor (Code source included)

Can you add this feature in the parallels toolbox please ?
    Thank you very much

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    MatthewR20, YuriP2, RashidA3 and 8 others like this.
  2. David C Black

David C Black Bit poster

I frequently do lectures and have the need to switch back and forth from mirrored displays and separate displays. This would be very useful to myself and colleagues at my company (we provide training commercially).

Additionally, it would be nice to blackout the external display when not using PowerPoint. This should be trivial to do by simply displaying a black image covering the entire display. If projecting onto a whiteboard, then a white image would be useful.

3. JonathanB12

JonathanB12 Bit poster

On the fly to be able to hide one monitor and only use one screen, even if an extra monitor plugged in via HDMI.

4. Joerg Peters

Joerg Peters Bit poster

Hi,
    I have the issue that I have my MBP connected via a TB3 to two external monitors. These two external monitors are now also shared with a RPI, a Windows Notebook, etc. While Windows allows you to disconnect a monitor and disable it, this feature is not available natively in macOS, meaning that the external screens, while connected, always extend the macOS desktop - even when they are displaying another source. This makes it quite frustrating to use the MBP in parallel as I either have to collect all screens individually to the MBP screen or have to disconnect the cables to the screens in order to teach the MBP to not use them.
    Another use case where I have been missing this feature was in meeting rooms where I wanted to quickly disconnect the large screen/projector in order to do preparations and then reconnect without having to do this via the cabling.

It would be cool if such a feature would be available in the Parallels toolbox directly

5. GuilhermeL1

GuilhermeL1 Bit poster

I use 2 notebbooks on the same monitor and when im using the second one my macbook still connected to the monitor and some of the windows still showing on the second monitor. When i need do use something on the macbook its anoying having to make the windows show up on the built in display withou unpluging the monitor cable.

Can you figure how to solve this?

thanks

6. IsraelQ1

IsraelQ1 Bit poster

Feature tu turn off external displays

7. RashidA3

RashidA3 Bit poster

Currently, the only way to disable an external monitor on a mac is to unplug the HDMI cable or press the button on the monitor. Can you add an option to disable and enable external monitors?

For example on Windows, you can use the Windows key + P to toggle between laptop screen only, external screen only, duplicate and extend. Can you add a similar feature to the tookbox for mac?

8. GiannyM

GiannyM Bit poster

Bump, this would be a great and useful feature. Please implement a way to prevent instances from commandeering all available monitors.

9. Aydaskhan Asochakov

Aydaskhan Asochakov Staff Member

Greetings,
    Thank you for posting on Parallels Forum.
    We've forwarded your request to the respective team for further discussion.
    We don't know when and if it will be implemented, but in any case - we will let you know.
    Should you have any additional questions, let us know.
    Have a great week ahead!