CUDA and Ubuntu 16.04.04

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by CarrollV1, May 23, 2018.

1. CarrollV1

CarrollV1 Bit poster

Every time I load up my CUDA development environment from nVidia (I use their nSight IDE for remote development) when I boot into Unity alot of the screen is black and any new windows opened are just solid black. I installed the CUDA development tools from nVidia's official repository (CUDA 9.2). I checked and the nVidia driver is not loaded, but I am thinking maybe it is changing something with how Xorg is configured. It also seems to be compiz specific, because when I load "Metacity Flashback" desktop environment, I am able to run things just fine.

Anyone had success getting these two to run together without a black screen?

EDIT:

It looks like installing CUDA loads all kinds of bad stuff into Xorg! Uploaded a logfile, going to see if I can specifically only remove the package that is causing these to be loaded.

Attached Files:

2. CarrollV1

CarrollV1 Bit poster

I force uninstalled ONLY the nvidia driver and things are working great now (including nSight). Heres the command that worked for me:
    sudo dpkg --force-all -r nvidia-396

3. CarrollV1

CarrollV1 Bit poster

Whats interesting is that even after the Parallels update, coherence won't work on the VM I installed the nVidia stuff on.

I see it in Xorg.0.log, but I am still unable to enter coherence. I may try a fresh install and see if I can get nVidia and Parallels to play nicely with each-other.

Attached Files:

4. CarrollV1

CarrollV1 Bit poster

I wasn't able to get coherence working in 16.04.04 on the old VM, but I was able to get it working with 18.04 and got my CUDA development environment setup without the driver (using the .run installer for 17.10)