Communication with USB over UART bridge

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration' started by ArthurP2, Apr 29, 2017.

1. ArthurP2

ArthurP2 Bit poster

Hello
    I've a device that communicates to my Mac via USB over a UART bridge. In particular, I'm using a CP210x USB to UART Bridge Virtual COM Port (VCP) driver from Silicon Labs. I know that the data is getting to my Mac because a traditional Mac application receives and displays it.

However, the data does not get to a Windows 10 app running in Windows 10 on Parallels. I've followed the directions http://kb.parallels.com/en/122993 to "Devices > External Devices". It shows two devices with similar names "CP2102 USB to UART Bridge Controller" and "CP2102 USB to UART Bridge Controller #2". The second one is always checked. If the first is unchecked and I click it, then Parallels says "'CP2102 USB to UART Bridge Controller #2' is now 'connected to Windows 10'". However, when I attempt to connect the Windows app to a device, it does not find any available devices.

Any ideas on how to solve this?

Thanks
    Arthur

2. ArthurP2

ArthurP2 Bit poster

Hello Parallels Support
    Please help fix this, or I'll return your product.
    Thanks
    Arthur

3. Swati@Parallels

Swati@Parallels

Hello ArthurP2, please follow the below steps and keep us posted:
    1. Reinstall Parallels tools
    2. Try this article

4. Stefan P

Stefan P Member

Hi Arthur, did you solve your problem, I have also an issue with Silabs CP2102 devices?

Stefan P

5. ArthurP2

ArthurP2 Bit poster

I've not solved it. I've not had time to try the steps they sent May 5. Did you?

6. Stefan P

Stefan P Member

Hi ArthurP2,
    I assume I have a different problem, but also related to Silabs CP210x devices. I would like to use a set (up to 10) of CP210x devices simultaneously which work fine on MacOS natively.
    Neither guest OS Win10 nor Linux works under Parallels. The symptom is that connecting the first CP210x works, at least it shows up in the Parallels USB list as connected to guest OS and also in Windows device manager, so installation of Windows driver works, too.
    Unfortunately when I connect a second CP210x device the first disappears and as a result no CP210x is connected at all. So no change to connect more than a single CP210x device to guest OS. When using multiple FTDI devices, everything works as expected.
    The very same happens when trying with guest OS Linux. This makes me assuming that there is a incompatibility with CP210x and Parallels.
    I also tried the help Swati recommended, to no avail.
    regards
    Stefan P

7. JardC

JardC Bit poster

Hi...i am a new user here. I want to know do you still have your serial port monitor open? You can't have their software and DF running at the same time. Only one software tool can access the port at once and whoever is started first claims it. If it appears that nothing else is running, reboot and try again, then try with Hyperterminal.

pcba china

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  8. Jamesb21

Jamesb21 Bit poster

Hi...this is a new resigner here. I want to know can't USB to Uart communicate with MCU?
    By the way the USB PCB is made by myself.

pcb prototype

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  9. TonyK3

TonyK3 Bit poster

Hi, I'm also having an issue with this and as a business subscription holder I'll also raise a support ticket. I have 2 issues with the USB serial port,
    1. If parallels is not running, I have no access to the port at all
    2. When parallels is running, i connect the device, parallels asks if to connect it to the mac or guest OS, I select Mac but the port is not available.
    If I install the cp201x driver, I can connect to my device, but only once, then it stops working again.
    I'm on a macbook pro 2018 with Mojave.