CentOS/Fedora/Mint Linux login keyring issue 'the password you use to login to your computer...'

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by PhillipW2, Dec 14, 2017.

1. PhillipW2

PhillipW2 Bit poster

Hey all, first time poster so please bear with me. I'm using the latest version of Parallels desktop on a MBP (touchbar) 15" 2016 model, usually with Windows 10 which seems to run fine. I thought I would play around with some Linux distros.

Ubuntu runs fine however when using Debian, CentOS, Fedora or Mint Linux I run into a problem with the login keyring almost immediately after first setting a password for the default 'Parallels' user, in that I get a pop up box prompting for the login keyring and a message stating "the password you use to login to your computer no longer matches that of your login keychain".

I had this first happen in Mint Linux so not long after I deleted the VM and put it down to a rubbish distro, but then it happened in Debian, Fedora and CentOS which leads me to think the issue lies elsewhere. On CentOS I made the Parallels user password the same as my MBP local password, while on Fedora and Debian the password is completely different - thinking it was somehow picking up the password of my macOS user account.

Has anyone else come across this? It just seems strange that it would happen on three different Linux distros immediately after a fresh install. Any ideas how to fix it? I would like to use either Fedora or CentOS as I prefer the look and feel over Ubuntu. Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  2. IainW1

IainW1 Bit poster

I'm having the exact same issue. Happened after I installed Chrome.

3. IainW1

IainW1 Bit poster

4. DavidF13

DavidF13 Bit poster

That link is broken for me, any chance on a summary on the workaround?

5. AaronH3

AaronH3 Bit poster

I had this same issue after installing chrome and/or installing atom. I did some more research and found just using "parallels" as your keychain password worked for me

6. JenB

JenB Bit poster

They must have changed that, doesn't work in 14

7. DipanB

DipanB Bit poster

I had launch seahorse and delete the login keyring. Once I did that, I logged out and logged in and the popup has gone away. The login keyring now shows unlocked,

8. Zeesy

Zeesy Bit poster

This worked for me. Ubuntu 18.04. I was trying to run pip install pyenv-virtualenv and it threw up a warning, an error, and the login keyring lockout.