Can't install Parallels Tools for Windows XP

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Fernando Velarde, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Fernando Velarde

Fernando Velarde Bit poster

Hello:

I've just upgraded my Parallel desktop 3 for Mac to version 6.
    A couple of months ago I upgraded my iMac to Snow Leopard and then I found out that PD 3 won't launch. So I downloaded the demo for 6 and everything went more or less ok.

I had 2 previous Virtual manchines that got converted in the process. A windows Vista, that works perfeclty as i had before (after I installed Parallels tools)

And an XP Virtual machine that got converted ok , but it won't let me install Parallels Tools. I've started and restarted the VM several times an I always get the same errors and no Internet conection:

1) After it's trying to install the Parallels Tools (in the setup wizard) I get a message that says:
    "Windows Script Host access is disabled on this machine. Contact your administrator for details.

2) Then I get this message: "Error 2738. Could not acces VBScript run time for custom action."

Could somebody point me in the right direction to fix this issues. I looked in the forum and knwledge base but haven't found anytthing for this particular problem.

Thanks in advance

2. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

3. Fernando Velarde

Fernando Velarde Bit poster

Hello joevt for answering the post.

I don't really have any knowledge of Windows ( only now Mac) But I found the exe called "regedit" and started following instructions from the link you showed me.

I only got as far as: this directory: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft

There is no "Windows Script Host" folder anywhere. Not sure if its because I'm in Windows XP ( the link says this is for Windows 2000".

Any other suggestion/ideas...? I was runnng great on Parallels 3, but now it's not working with the upgrade...

thanks in advance.

4. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

My new install of Windows XP has both the following in regedit:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Script Host
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Script Host

I don't know why you can't find it on yours or how to tell if it's installed properly. Did you apply all the Windows XP updates?