Can't install Parallel Tools on Win10 Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Les1, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Les1

Les1 Junior Member

I keep getting an error when installing Parallel Tools that takes me to http://kb.parallels.com/111730. I tried manually installing them and get the same thing. When I tried the Hardest method to manually install them it says that method isn't support for Bootcamop

2. Guna@Parallels

Guna@Parallels Parallels Support

3. Les1

Les1 Junior Member

Ok...I guesss let's go back to when I'm actually just trying to install Parallels. I'm getting the following screenshot during installation.

Attached Files:

4. Les1

Les1 Junior Member

Also, when I get past the above error and try to install Parallel Tools in Win10 Bootcamp, I get the following error report - 120122165. This was generated after the tools failed to load at 69% with the attached screen.

Attached Files:

5. Hello Les1, assign virtual machine RAM to 2GB and check if there is any antivirus installed in your Windows virtual machine if so then try to uninstall it and reinstall Parallels tools and let us know if it goes through.

6. Les1

Les1 Junior Member

It actually already had 2GB assigned to it. I upped it to 4GB and the same issue. Also, I turned off the anti-virus and had the same issue.

7. Dinesh@Parallels

Dinesh@Parallels Guest

Hello @Les1
    Please take a snapshot to be secured from all unwanted changes in the virtual machine. When solution is applied successfully, please delete snapshot.
    • Open Windows registry: Press Win+R -> type "regedit" -> hit Enter.
    • Highlight HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE- > File -> Load Hive -> specify "c:\windows\system32\config\drivers" -> name key somehow (say 'LoadedHive')
    • Edit -> Find, specify the name of the driver (e.g. "prl_dd").
    • Delete all entries of prl_dd in the 'LoadedHeave' branch. (Note: you will need to change owner of the branch and give it permissions 'Full Control').
    • Restart virtual machine and install Parallels Tools.

8. Les1

Les1 Junior Member

I gave myself Full Control to the LoadedHive branch....but when I try to delete any of the entries...it says I don't have permission.

Attached Files:

9. ChristopherC3

ChristopherC3 Bit poster

I have the same issue. I have Windows 10 on a Boot Camp partition and I can get to Windows 10 OS if I bounce the box and load windows directly instead the Mac OS. I just can't get Parallels Desktop on the Mac OS to start the the Windows 10. I think I need a .pvm file - not sure what that is or where it should be.
    I wish that "new virtual machine" screen would give more information with the "Add Existing Virtual Machine" option.

10. Les1

Les1 Junior Member

My issue is I can't install Parallel Tools on the VM. I can start the Bootcamp VM....I just can't install Parallel Tools.

11. Did you get this issue before?
    Also did you receive any error? (instead of installation crashing)

12. Les1

Les1 Junior Member

I've only downloaded the 14 day trial (expires in 5 days) and this has happened from the first time I tried to install Parallel Tools. No crashes...just the error.

13. Dinesh@Parallels

Dinesh@Parallels Guest

Hello @Les1,
    Exactly at what percentage does it fails while installing Parallels Tools?

14. Les1

Les1 Junior Member

As I stated in one of my earlier comments....69%. I also included the error report - 120122165 in the same comment.

15. Dinesh@Parallels

Dinesh@Parallels Guest

16. Les1

Les1 Junior Member

Looking at the parallels-setup.log, it is failing on
    2016-10-06 17.34.49 : INSTALLMESSAGE_ERROR: Failed to install driver prl_boot
    I've attached my parallels-setup.log and parallels-tools-setup.xxxx.log. I had to add a .txt extension so they could be uploaded.

Hopefully we can resolve this in 4 days......that's when my trial expires.

Well, my trial period has expired. Is there any way to extend it while you try to fix my problem or am I just out of luck.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  17. Les1

Les1 Junior Member

So no more support for me on this?

ToddK1 likes this.
  18. ToddK1

ToddK1 Bit poster

any fix for this?

19. ToddK1

ToddK1 Bit poster

Hey Les did you end up finding a fix for this i know its a long shit from so long ago haha

20. Len Mizutowicz

Len Mizutowicz Junior Member

I have the same exact problem, with no resolution from Parallels.