Can't boot: "Failed to isolate default target, freezing"

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by cotos, Mar 24, 2016.

1. cotos

cotos Bit poster

After executing "apt-get upgrade" in Terminal, the command was doing what it was supposed to do, but after a while, I come back to see it's progress and it was frozen. I shut it down, using the Virtual Machine Tools, then when I try to start it, it starts normally to this Screen:

[​IMG]

However, every time I select the first option, this pops up:

[​IMG]

I saw it says "Unit prltools_update.service not found", and I thought it could somehow relate to Parallels Tools.
    It really bothers me, as I've got loads of files into my System. Is there a way to fix this error? I haven't been able to find any solutions out there on the internet.

Thank you in advance.

2. cotos

cotos Bit poster

Anyone able to help me?

3. MeletisM

MeletisM Bit poster

Hello cotos,
    I ran into the same problem today, after upgrading my ubuntu VM to 16.04. Have you found a solution yet?
    My screen is slightly different, but I'm 99% sure that this is related to Parallels:

upload_2016-4-22_15-46-56.png

YangY likes this.
  4. cotos

cotos Bit poster

Hi MeletisM,

I couldn't find a solution either, so I backed up all my files, and went ahead and re-installed Kali Linux. However, I then faced another problem, it had an error with the Screen or something, then I did some other things. If you want to know what I did, please add me on Skype, so we could chat easier: coto993

5. MeletisM

MeletisM Bit poster

Thank you cotos. I think I have solved it otherways. I managed to login via a recovery console and uninstalled Parallel tools with this:

http://kb.parallels.com/en/117044

Then it restarted just fine.

Thank you anyway!

6. cotos

cotos Bit poster

Ah, lucky you! Had to go into big process into resolving this, ended up giving up Parallels. :p

Glad you were able to fix this issue though. :)

Happy Hacking!

7. LudwigS1

LudwigS1 Junior Member

Hi,
    interesting, just ended up here with similar problem and yes, this happened after Parallels Tools install (manual) and with Ubuntu 16.xx LTS.
    Next: Uninstall...

Update: The removal did not fix the issue...still looking for answers.

Regards

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  8. YangY

YangY Bit poster

I select "Remove" after executing `sudo ./install` but the problem still exists even when I try to load system with fallback mode. I guess in my case is because prltoolsd.service did not be removed properly and systemd try to load a nonexistent service then causing the booting failure.