Cannot upgrade/install parallels tools on Gentoo Linux after upgrading to Parallels Desktop 13

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by KonstandinosS, Aug 22, 2017.

1. KonstandinosS

KonstandinosS Bit poster

Hi team,

I recently upgraded to Parallels Desktop 13. When I fired my VMs almost each one successfully upgraded to the latest version of the guest tools.
    Only in the case of one vm running Gentoo Linux I got a failure. It seemingly appears that the latest Guest Tools expect some package manager to be present based on the log:
    Error: none of supported package managers found in system
    Error: failed to install or upgrade Parallels Guest Tools!

Any ideas on how to rectify or at least some instructions so I can deploy manually and avoid using the installer?

Thank you in advance.

2. MichaelL28

MichaelL28 Bit poster

I'm wondering the same thing. I wish Gentoo support was quite a bit more solid than it is.

3. rkulikov

rkulikov Parallels Developers

Frankly speaking we don't support Gentoo in Parallels Tools at all. So do you really sure that _upgrade_ actually failed for you? May be just clean installation?

4. KonstandinosS

KonstandinosS Bit poster

Thank you for your response, @rkulikov. It is strange because in Parallels Desktop v12 it works like a treat. After upgrading to v13 the installation keeps failing with the same error: none of the supported package managers fund in system.

5. rkulikov

@KonstandinosS,
    > Thank you for your response, @rkulikov. It is strange because in Parallels Desktop v12 it works like a treat. After upgrading to v13 the installation keeps failing with the
    > same error: none of the supported package managers fund in system.
    Ok. What I may suggest. Mount Parallels Tools ISO image into the guest and run this command from it
    $ "${tools_mount_point}/installer/pm.sh" -c gtools
    It will write packages which are needed to be in the system for Parallels Tools. So you should install them manually. If you cannot: post output of the that command here and I will try to help you.

6. KonstandinosS

KonstandinosS Bit poster

Thank you, so much, @rkulikov. I 've seen something similar in the /var/log/parallels-tools-install.log:
    hyperion cdrom # cat /var/log/parallels-tools-install.log
    2017-08-30T18:46:40+0100:

Parallels Tools 13.0.0-42936 Installer started.
    2017-08-30T18:46:40+0100: Failed to setup console printk level.
    2017-08-30T18:46:42+0100: o dkms
    o hpijs

2017-08-30T18:46:42+0100: execCmd: ./installer/pm.sh --check gtools [124]
    Started installation of Parallels Guest Tools version '13.0.0.42936'
    Error: none of supported package managers found in system.
    Error: failed to install or upgrade Parallels Guest Tools!
    Please, look at /var/log/parallels-tools-install.log file for more information.
    2017-08-30T18:46:42+0100: execCmd: ./install --install [150]
    2017-08-30T18:46:42+0100: Error: An error occurred when installing Parallels Tools. Plea
    se go to /var/log/parallels-tools-install.log for more information.
    2017-08-30T18:46:42+0100: Exiting with code 1

if I execute the command:
    hyperion cdrom # ./installer/pm.sh -c gtools
    o dkms
    o hpijs

Trying to find these packages via portage which is gentoo's package manager I, regrettably, get an error as no packages can be identified:
    hyperion cdrom # emerge -s dkms
    [ Results for search key : dkms ]
    Searching...
    [ Applications found : 0 ]

hyperion cdrom # emerge -s hpijs
    [ Results for search key : hpijs ]
    Searching...
    [ Applications found : 0 ]

hyperion cdrom #

Are the Guest tools trying to use Dynamic Kernel Module Support (DKMS)? This was seemingly not the case with the previous version or at least the previous version of guest tools was not failing.

I am deploying a package philip which I think provides the hpijs driver.
    Again I am not 100% sure why the guest tools require the hips driver but I'll try it and see if "o hpijs" disappears from the list.

7. rkulikov

Checked four latest versions of Tools and all of them have the same behaviour regarding package manager.

Just curious. What is the current version of Parallels Tools you are using in your Gentoo system? How did you install it?

8. MaSc

MaSc Member

same issue here, my productive dev vm is eg sabayon, which I have been using with parallels for half a decade, up until parallels 12.
    as there's a strong dependency to specific package managers in 13, this totally breaks my working environment.
    I assume arch linux which also worked well, is now also defunct.

9. MaSc

MaSc Member

I'd like to get a statement if you intend to open up again for other less mainstream distros, even though they're not officially supported.
    otherwise I will cancel my subscription and also ask for refund of 13, as in this state it's unusable for me.

10. KonstandinosS

KonstandinosS Bit poster

Thank you for your time, once more. I am not sure how I can check the version of the tools but I can confirm that these were installed while I was using Parallels Desktop 12. i.e. before I upgraded to v13. As soon as I purchased the upgrade, the problem started. If I can run a particular command to see the guest tools version, then please kindly let me know and I will provide it. Thank you.

11. rkulikov

> If I can run a particular command to see the guest tools version, then please kindly let me know and I will provide it.

Please, post output of this command:
    $ fgrep 'Started installation of Parallels Guest Tools version' /var/log/parallels-tools-install.log

12. rkulikov

@KonstandinosS, @MaSc, what init software is used in your systems (systemd, OpenRC, SysV etc)?

13. MaSc

MaSc Member

sabayon uses systemd.

meanwhile I managed to install latest parallels tools on sabayon and get my system working again by patching one of the installer scripts (`install-kmods.sh`) to simply skip the package manager check in `check_requirements()`. so the issue is basically resolved for me (for now).

KonstandinosS likes this.
  14. KonstandinosS

KonstandinosS Bit poster

Hi @rkulikov - I am using OpenRC in my gentoo.

Here is the version info:
    # fgrep 'Started' /var/log/parallels-tools-install.log
    Started installation of Parallels Guest Tools version '13.0.0.42936'
    Started installation of Parallels Guest Tools version '13.0.1.42947'
    Before ugprading to Parallels Desktop 13, Parallels Desktop 12 could deploy its version of the Guest Tools without any issues.

Btw, I followed @MaSc's advice and I was able to deploy the guest tools by patching install-kmods.sh so that the 'check_requirements()' function always returns 0. (Dirty hack).

Here is the revised log:
    Tue Sep 12 21:22:46 BST 2017
    Start installation or upgrade of Guest Tools
    new version of parallels tools
    Found Guest Tools directory: /usr/lib/parallels-tools
    Start removal of user space modules
    Umounting Shared Folders: done
    Shutting down Parallels tools daemon: done
    * service prltoolsd removed from runlevel default
    Removal of prltoolsd service was finished successfully
    * service prl-x11 removed from runlevel default
    Removal of prl-x11 service was finished successfully
    * service prltools_updater removed from runlevel default
    Removal of prltools_updater service was finished successfully
    rmdir: failed to remove '/media/psf': Directory not empty
    Restoring system-provided libglx.so...
    Restoring system-provided libGL.so.1 (x86_64)...
    Remove tools according to /var/lib/parallels-tools/.backup/.tools.list file
    rm /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/input/prlmouse_drv.so
    rm /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/prlvideo_drv.so
    rm /lib/udev/rules.d/69-xorg-prlmouse.rules
    rm /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/90-prlmouse.conf
    rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/90-prlmouse.conf
    rm /etc/prltools/prlcc.desktop
    rm /etc/xdg/autostart/prlcc.desktop
    rm /usr/share/autostart/prlcc.desktop
    rm /usr/share/gnome/autostart/prlcc.desktop
    rm /etc/prltools/ptiagent.desktop
    rm /etc/xdg/autostart/ptiagent.desktop
    rm /usr/share/autostart/ptiagent.desktop
    rm /usr/share/gnome/autostart/ptiagent.desktop
    rm /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/parallels-tools.png
    rm /root/Desktop/Parallels Shared Folders
    rm /root/Desktop/Parallels Shared Folders
    rm /home/ksaipas/Desktop/Parallels Shared Folders
    rm /usr/bin/prltoolsd
    rm /usr/bin/prlfsmountd
    rm /usr/bin/prlcc
    rm /usr/bin/prldnd
    rm /usr/bin/prlcp
    rm /usr/bin/prlsga
    rm /usr/bin/prlhosttime
    rm /usr/bin/prl_showvmcfg
    rm /usr/sbin/prl_nettool
    rm /usr/sbin/prl_snapshot
    rm /usr/bin/prlshprof
    rm /usr/bin/prlshprint
    rm /usr/bin/prltimesync
    rm /usr/sbin/prl-xorgconf-fixer
    rm /usr/sbin/prl-opengl-switcher.sh
    rm /usr/sbin/prltools_updater.sh
    rm /usr/bin/prl_backup
    rm /usr/share/man/man8/mount.prl_fs.8
    rm /etc/pm/sleep.d/99prltoolsd-hibernate
    rm /usr/bin/ptiagent
    rm /usr/bin/ptiagent-cmd
    ls: cannot access '/etc/rc.d/*': No such file or directory
    Removing of X server configuration is skipped.
    Removal of user space applications and drivers was finished successfully
    Start removal of prl_eth kernel module
    Error: could not unload prl_eth kernel module
    Start removal of prl_tg kernel module
    Error: could not unload prl_tg kernel module
    Start removal of prl_fs kernel module
    Error: could not unload prl_fs kernel module
    Start removal of prl_fs_freeze kernel module
    Error: could not unload prl_fs_freeze kernel module
    Remove kernel modules according to /var/lib/parallels-tools/.backup/.kmods.list file
    Removal of kernel modules was finished successfully
    Remove /usr/lib/parallels-tools directory
    Register service to install new Guest Tools
    Perform installation into the /usr/lib/parallels-tools directory
    cat: /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/../version: No such file or directory
    make: Entering directory '/usr/lib64/parallels-tools/kmods'
    cd prl_eth/pvmnet && make
    make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/lib64/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet'
    make -C /lib/modules/4.12.5-gentoo/build M=/usr/lib64/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet
    make[2]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-4.12.5-gentoo'
    LD /usr/lib64/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/built-in.o
    CC [M] /usr/lib64/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/pvmnet.o
    LD [M] /usr/lib64/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/prl_eth.o
    Building modules, stage 2.
    MODPOST 1 modules
    CC /usr/lib64/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/prl_eth.mod.o
    LD [M] /usr/lib64/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/prl_eth.ko
    make[2]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-4.12.5-gentoo'
    make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/lib64/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet'
    cd prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg && make
    make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/lib64/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg'
    make -C /lib/modules/4.12.5-gentoo/build SUBDIRS=/usr/lib64/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg SRCROOT=/usr/lib64/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg modules
    CC [M] /usr/lib64/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.o
    LD [M] /usr/lib64/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prl_tg.o
    MODPOST 1 modules
    CC /usr/lib64/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prl_tg.mod.o
    LD [M] /usr/lib64/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prl_tg.ko
    make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/lib64/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg'
    cp -f prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/*.symvers prl_fs/SharedFolders/Guest/Linux/prl_fs ||:
    cd prl_fs/SharedFolders/Guest/Linux/prl_fs && make
    make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/lib64/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_fs/SharedFolders/Guest/Linux/prl_fs'
    make -C /lib/modules/4.12.5-gentoo/build M=/usr/lib64/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_fs/SharedFolders/Guest/Linux/prl_fs
    LD /usr/lib64/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_fs/SharedFolders/Guest/Linux/prl_fs/built-in.o
    CC [M] /usr/lib64/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_fs/SharedFolders/Guest/Linux/prl_fs/super.o
    CC [M] /usr/lib64/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_fs/SharedFolders/Guest/Linux/prl_fs/inode.o
    CC [M] /usr/lib64/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_fs/SharedFolders/Guest/Linux/prl_fs/file.o
    CC [M] /usr/lib64/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_fs/SharedFolders/Guest/Linux/prl_fs/interface.o
    LD [M] /usr/lib64/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_fs/SharedFolders/Guest/Linux/prl_fs/prl_fs.o
    MODPOST 1 modules
    CC /usr/lib64/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_fs/SharedFolders/Guest/Linux/prl_fs/prl_fs.mod.o
    LD [M] /usr/lib64/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_fs/SharedFolders/Guest/Linux/prl_fs/prl_fs.ko
    make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/lib64/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_fs/SharedFolders/Guest/Linux/prl_fs'
    cd prl_fs_freeze/Snapshot/Guest/Linux/prl_freeze && make
    make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/lib64/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_fs_freeze/Snapshot/Guest/Linux/prl_freeze'
    make -C /lib/modules/4.12.5-gentoo/build M=/usr/lib64/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_fs_freeze/Snapshot/Guest/Linux/prl_freeze modules
    CC [M] /usr/lib64/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_fs_freeze/Snapshot/Guest/Linux/prl_freeze/prl_fs_freeze.o
    MODPOST 1 modules
    CC /usr/lib64/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_fs_freeze/Snapshot/Guest/Linux/prl_freeze/prl_fs_freeze.mod.o
    LD [M] /usr/lib64/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_fs_freeze/Snapshot/Guest/Linux/prl_freeze/prl_fs_freeze.ko
    make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/lib64/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_fs_freeze/Snapshot/Guest/Linux/prl_freeze'
    cd prl_eth/pvmnet && rm -rf .*.cmd .tmp_versions
    cd prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg && rm -rf .*.cmd .tmp_versions
    cd prl_fs/SharedFolders/Guest/Linux/prl_fs && rm -rf .*.cmd .tmp_versions
    cd prl_fs_freeze/Snapshot/Guest/Linux/prl_freeze && rm -rf .*.cmd .tmp_versions
    make: Leaving directory '/usr/lib64/parallels-tools/kmods'
    Start installation of prl_eth kernel module
    Start installation of prl_tg kernel module
    Start installation of prl_fs kernel module
    Start installation of prl_fs_freeze kernel module
    Installation of kernel modules was finished successfully
    Start installation of user space modules
    X server: xorg, Version: 1.19
    System X modules are installing from /usr/lib/parallels-tools/tools/prltools.x64/xorg.1.19
    System X modules are placed in /usr/lib64/xorg/modules
    X server: xorg, Version: 1.19
    System X modules are installing from /usr/lib/parallels-tools/tools/prltools.x64/xorg.1.19
    System X modules are placed in /usr/lib64/xorg/modules
    X server configuration was skipped
    '/usr/lib/parallels-tools/tools/prltools.x64/xorg.1.19/x-server/modules/input/prlmouse_drv.so' -> '/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/input/prlmouse_drv.so'
    '/usr/lib/parallels-tools/tools/prltools.x64/xorg.1.19/x-server/modules/drivers/prlvideo_drv.so' -> '/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/prlvideo_drv.so'
    '/usr/lib/parallels-tools/tools/x11-parallels.fdi' -> '/usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/20thirdparty/20-x11-parallels.fdi'
    cp: cannot create regular file '/usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/20thirdparty/20-x11-parallels.fdi': No such file or directory
    '/usr/lib/parallels-tools/tools/xorg-prlmouse.rules' -> '/lib/udev/rules.d/69-xorg-prlmouse.rules'
    '/usr/lib/parallels-tools/tools/prlmouse.conf' -> '/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/90-prlmouse.conf'
    '/usr/lib/parallels-tools/tools/prlmouse.conf' -> '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/90-prlmouse.conf'
    Can't find compiz lib dir, skipping compiz pluing install
    Cant't find Gnome Shell extensions dir, skipping plugin install
    '/usr/lib/parallels-tools/tools/prlcc.desktop' -> '/etc/prltools/prlcc.desktop'
    '/etc/xdg/autostart/prlcc.desktop' -> '/etc/prltools/prlcc.desktop'
    '/usr/share/autostart/prlcc.desktop' -> '/etc/prltools/prlcc.desktop'
    '/usr/share/gnome/autostart/prlcc.desktop' -> '/etc/prltools/prlcc.desktop'
    '/usr/lib/parallels-tools/tools/ptiagent.desktop' -> '/etc/prltools/ptiagent.desktop'
    '/etc/xdg/autostart/ptiagent.desktop' -> '/etc/prltools/ptiagent.desktop'
    '/usr/share/autostart/ptiagent.desktop' -> '/etc/prltools/ptiagent.desktop'
    '/usr/share/gnome/autostart/ptiagent.desktop' -> '/etc/prltools/ptiagent.desktop'
    udevadm exited with status 0
    '/usr/lib/parallels-tools/tools/parallels-tools.png' -> '/usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/parallels-tools.png'
    '/root/Desktop/Parallels Shared Folders' -> '/media/psf'
    '/root/Desktop/Parallels Shared Folders/psf' -> '/media/psf'
    '/home/ksaipas/Desktop/Parallels Shared Folders' -> '/media/psf'
    '/usr/lib/parallels-tools/tools/prltools.x64/xorg.7.1/usr/bin/prltimesync' -> '/usr/bin/prltimesync'
    '/usr/lib/parallels-tools/tools/prltools.x64/bin/prltoolsd' -> '/usr/bin/prltoolsd'
    * service prltoolsd added to runlevel default
    Installation of prltoolsd service was finished successfully
    '/usr/lib/parallels-tools/tools/prlfsmountd.sh' -> '/usr/bin/prlfsmountd'
    /root/gstools/installer/install-tools.sh: line 1057: type: semanage: not found
    Warning: no semanage found in system
    Not changing type for /usr/lib/parallels-tools/tools/../installer.
    * service prltools_updater added to runlevel default
    Installation of prltools_updater service was finished successfully
    * service prl-x11 added to runlevel default
    Installation of prl-x11 service was finished successfully
    '/usr/lib/parallels-tools/tools/prltools.x64/xorg.7.1/usr/bin/prlcc' -> '/usr/bin/prlcc'
    '/usr/lib/parallels-tools/tools/prltools.x64/xorg.7.1/usr/bin/prldnd' -> '/usr/bin/prldnd'
    '/usr/lib/parallels-tools/tools/prltools.x64/xorg.7.1/usr/bin/prlcp' -> '/usr/bin/prlcp'
    '/usr/lib/parallels-tools/tools/prltools.x64/xorg.7.1/usr/bin/prlsga' -> '/usr/bin/prlsga'
    '/usr/lib/parallels-tools/tools/prltools.x64/bin/prlhosttime' -> '/usr/bin/prlhosttime'
    '/usr/lib/parallels-tools/tools/prltools.x64/bin/prl_showvmcfg' -> '/usr/bin/prl_showvmcfg'
    '/usr/lib/parallels-tools/tools/prltools.x64/sbin/prl_nettool' -> '/usr/sbin/prl_nettool'
    '/usr/lib/parallels-tools/tools/prltools.x64/sbin/prl_snapshot' -> '/usr/sbin/prl_snapshot'
    '/usr/lib/parallels-tools/tools/prltools.x64/bin/prlshprof' -> '/usr/bin/prlshprof'
    '/usr/lib/parallels-tools/tools/prltools.x64/bin/prlshprint' -> '/usr/bin/prlshprint'
    '/usr/lib/parallels-tools/tools/prltools.x64/sbin/prl-xorgconf-fixer' -> '/usr/sbin/prl-xorgconf-fixer'
    '/usr/lib/parallels-tools/tools/prltools.x64/sbin/prl-opengl-switcher.sh' -> '/usr/sbin/prl-opengl-switcher.sh'
    '/usr/lib/parallels-tools/tools/prltools.x64/sbin/prltools_updater.sh' -> '/usr/sbin/prltools_updater.sh'
    '/usr/lib/parallels-tools/tools/mount.prl_fs.8' -> '/usr/share/man/man8/mount.prl_fs.8'
    '/usr/lib/parallels-tools/tools/99prltoolsd-hibernate' -> '/etc/pm/sleep.d/99prltoolsd-hibernate'
    '/usr/bin/ptiagent' -> '/usr/lib/parallels-tools/tools/../install-gui'
    '/usr/bin/ptiagent-cmd' -> '/usr/lib/parallels-tools/tools/../installer/iagent64/parallels-wrapper'
    Installation of user space applications and drivers was finished successfully
    Send installed Parallels Tools version to dispatcher.
    Parallels Guest Tools were installed successfully!
    >>> Postinstall
    Enabling PRL_GL
    Writing OS version and Xorg version
    Starting prltoolsd service:
    Loading Parallels ToolsGate driver: done
    Loading Parallels Network driver: done
    Loading Parallels Shared Folders driver: done
    Mounting Parallels Shared Folders: done
    Loading Parallels Filesystem Freeze driver: done
    Starting Parallels tools daemon: done
    2017-09-12T21:22:56+0100: Parallels Guest Tools were upgraded successfully!
    Please, reboot your OS to finish upgrade of Parallels Guest Tools.
    2017-09-12T21:22:56+0100: execCmd: ./install --install [0]
    2017-09-12T21:22:56+0100: execCmd: ./installer/detect-xserver.sh -v >/dev/null 2>&1 [0]
    2017-09-12T21:23:00+0100: Guest OS is going to reboot.

As such, the issue is also resolved for me but I wonder why this change was introduced in the first place.

Thank you for your patience and help @rkulikov and for the hint @MaSc.

15. wingdo

wingdo Pro

Thank you. I totally borked a non backed up Sabayon VM and could not get Parallels Tools to install due to the fact they now do the idiotic check for only a few package managers. I looked at the scripts, but as an idiot was just trying to figure out how to install all the tools manually. Never thought to simply comment out the check as I figured it still wouldn't install the tools. Thanks again for what is a simple fix.