Cannot remove file associations! Grrr!

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by majordude, Nov 25, 2010.

1. majordude

majordude Bit poster

This has to be a new one.

I installed a trail of Parallels on my Mac about two months ago. I didn't like it and deleted it. A week later, while in a Mac application called Unison I still saw Parallels associations for .wmv and other Windows files.

I wiped my drive (not because of this) and reinstalled Mac. I backed up my old install using SuperSuper.

Everything was fine with a clean Unison on a clean Mac until I attached the SuperDuper drive to access a file I needed.

Somehow my NEW CLEAN INSTALL has grabbed all the Parallels file associations and I have NEVER installed it on THIS computer!

Grrr!

I can't get rid of them!

I go into Unison and see Parallels icons everywhere!

HELP!

2. majordude

majordude Bit poster

Anyone?

Parallels SUPPORT?

3. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

4. majordude

majordude Bit poster

I think you have the accent on the wrong si-laab-ill as they say. I used YOUR uninstaller so you didn't uninstall Parallels correctly.

But, it looks, so far, that this worked.

THANKS!

(Couldn't there be a way to compile this into a script instead of having to enter 20 lines manually?)

5. Andrew@Parallels

Actually these commands are compiled to uninstaller. Obviously something blocked it on your Mac.
    Anyway - I'm glad the solution managed to fix the issue.

6. majordude

majordude Bit poster

Nope. It didn't work.

I still have associations to Parallels in Panic Unison and I NEVER installed it on my Mac... it was on my old HD (see 1st post).

Any ideas?

7. majordude

majordude Bit poster

Anyone?

Parallels SUPPORT?

8. Andrew@Parallels

Is there any opportunity to boot from a backup drive as a primary one?
    In case you can do that, uninstall option should remove everything related to Parallels.
    It didn't work because it tried to find Parallels files on a primary drive where you had never installed Parallels Desktop.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  9. majordude

majordude Bit poster

Any idea of where these preferences are stored on one old HD? I'll just delete that file.