cannot change screen resolution - KB article no use

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by DavidJ3, Aug 18, 2015.

1. DavidJ3

DavidJ3 Bit poster

I'm running a Windows 8.1 VM with Parallels 10 on a MacBook Pro with Retina display. My Windows programs are being displayed with way too high screen resolution. I referred to http://kb.parallels.com/en/119926 which tells me to Adjust the Windows virtual machine's configuration settings -> Hardware > Video > and just uncheck Enable Retina resolution option

My problem: there is no such option on the menu that displays when I select -> Hardware > Video. Instead, my menu looks like the one in the attached screen shot. So that KB article is not very helpful.

How do I fix this?

Attached Files:

2. Dishant@Parallels

Dishant@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello Davidj3,
    Could you please tell us the version and build of your Parallels Desktop.

3. DavidJ3

DavidJ3 Bit poster

Version 10.2.2 (29105)

4. Dishant@Parallels

Dishant@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello David,
    Please try the steps mentioned below one by one.
    1) Mac's system preferences -> Displays. In resolution you need to change it from "Best for Retina" to Scaled (one item left from Best of Retina)
    2) Parallels Virtual Machine Configuration ( http://kb.parallels.com/en/117287 ) -> Hardware -> Video -> More space or Un-tick Retina support.
    3) Set scaling as 100% (default) in Guest OS: - Go to Start menu > Control Panel > Display - Set size of text and icons size as 100% (default) & then Restart Windows virtual machine to save these settings.

5. DavidJ3

DavidJ3 Bit poster

That doesn't work. The Parallels Configuration -> Hardware -> Video menu that comes up on my computer does NOT HAVE A RETINA SUPPORT BUTTON TO UNTICK, as I have already said. Look at the screen capture I uploaded. That's what I get. Nothing there about Retina. Just in case it isn't clear, I am uploading the screen capture again:

Screen Shot 2015-08-19 at 1.28.27 PM.png

6. ChristopherW3

ChristopherW3 Bit poster

Hi there, I have the same or at least a similar problem. Using Windows 10 with Parallels 11, I cannot choose a resolution. The only resolution in Windows is 1024*768. All support I found so far is useless as the referred checkboxes are missing. My screen looks similar to david's..

Thank you for your help in advance.

7. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Hi Christopher, please try updating Parallels Desktop to the latest build, refer to this KB article. If the issue persist, try re-installing Parallels Tools, refer to this article.

8. mdsd

mdsd Bit poster

Same issue with me Latest updated Parallels and windows 10.

9. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi, Microsoft Windows is not adapted for such high pixel density (DPI) resolution of the Retina display: Windows virtual machine resolution becomes very high thus everything is too small; Windows picture (fonts, images) are not rendered properly.
    Parallels Desktop provides enhanced Retina display support for Windows virtual machines.
    In the Mac menu go to Actions (the Virtual Machine menu in older versions of Parallels Desktop) -> Configure... -> Hardware -> Graphics..> Best for Retina Display. Please check out this article for more information on how to change virtual machine display resolution issues on Macs with Retina display.