Can Parallels Do This

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by DuanSt, Nov 17, 2017.

1. DuanSt

DuanSt Bit poster

Hi there,

Haven't used parallels in a bit (my version is a 11.2) and my usage was always for a very simple windows xp environment to use some pieces of software that were only available on windows.
    Anyway, I've run into a problem where an old Windows XP box has stopped working - it boots and then after a few minutes the display seems to go off, I suspect a broken graphics card but as I mainly use Mac OS I'm no expert, this box was no longer in use, but had a piece of software that produced some reports. These reports were no longer being used going forward and everything had been migrated going forward, but we've been asked to produce some historical stuff by a third party. The issue is that the piece of software used for these reports is only on the old windows box, and it is not possible to put it anywhere else (we don't have the installers - it's about 13 years old). These reports will be used to complete a proceedure, which will end at the end of this month and then the box and the software on it will be redundant for good.
    However, this is of no use to me if I can't get it up and running in some shape or form.
    So what I was wondering was if I took out the hard drive and put it in an enclosure would Parallels be about to boot the hard drive as if it was the machine, allowing the software to run and produce the reports. I might be barking up the wrong alley but thought I'd ask here first!

2. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

Hi @DuanSt, unfortunately Parallels Desktop does not support booting from external bootable disks. We recommend you use that hard disk to boot at another computer, and then use Parallels Transporter Agent to migrate that installation to Parallels virtual machine.