Booting guest machine into OSX Server Netboot/Netinstall nbi

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by JasonF7, Apr 21, 2017.

1. JasonF7

JasonF7 Bit poster

I am trying to test some Casper imaging and wanted to use a parallels VM to netboot the nbi I have shared on the OSX server.
    Both my physical machine and the server are on the same subnet.
    However, no matter what i choose the virtual machine will not netboot. It always defaults to PXE booting.

OS is set to OSX
    Network is set to bridged mode.

How does one make this work?
    Thanks!

2. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hm. It should work.
    Please Go to Hardware > Boot Order > and paste in Boot Flags box: vm.efi.debug=1
    Then reproduce the issue and send a problem report (menu of Parallels Desktop Help -> Send Technical Data) and post here its number

3. JasonF7

JasonF7 Bit poster

Report number is 174975826

Set network as first boot, but instead of trying to netbook it attempts PXE boot, PXE boot times out and then the normal installed OS loads. Cannot seem to get it to Netbook to the Casper Imaging NBI i have hosted on our OS X server.

4. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Sorry. It is turned out that feature of booting Mac OS Guest from network is available only for Pro edition of Parallels Desktop.

5. JasonF7

JasonF7 Bit poster

is it possible to upgrade from Parallels Desktop 11 for Mac to Pro edition?

6. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

What about upgrade: I have asked this question and now awaiting an answer to it.
    At the moment I'd suggest to try whether Pro edition functions ok with your case. There is a trial.

7. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

@JasonF7, yes you can upgrade to Parallels Desktop 12 for Mac Pro edition. Use this link to purchase the upgrade. Please note that this is a subscription license: during the subscription period you will receive all updates (and upgrades to new major versions), and also will be able to cancel the subscription at any time.

8. JasonF7

JasonF7 Bit poster

This resolved that issue.

However, now I have a secondary issue. While on the trial with pro netbooting worked fine with the netboot set i had.
    After updating now netbooting takes 30+ minutes, tried creating new netboot sets or using my old netboot sets and netbooting will run the progress bar for 30-45min and then just stop at 100% and never load.

Physical devices are able to boot from netboot set okay.

9. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

I'd appreciate a problem report with "vm.efi.debug=1" at the moment when booting have stopped
    Btw, How much time does it take for physical nodes?