Big problems with Vista and can't reinstall tools

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by billznik, Jan 15, 2008.

1. billznik

billznik Member

When I run Vista in Parallels in full screen mode, the mouse won't move on screen or just barely moves but when I minimize it I the mouse works fine but I cannot get the pointer out of the Vista window.

I tried to reinstall parallels tools but after I uninstalled them it will not let me reinstall, when I click install tools, it shows me the dialogue box then doesn't do anything. So please, I need help, should I reinstall Vista? With this erase all my info? Thanks!

2. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

could you please provide me with a screenshot of dialogue box that you mention?

Best regards,
    Stacey

3. billznik

billznik Member

I tried to reinstall Parallels using instructions on the forums but I'm still having the same problem. The mouse just freezes and doesn't work correctly. When I try to install Tools, first this box below appears, when I click the box, nothing happens. The box reads...

"Installing the Parallels Tools will make your work with Parallels Desktop more comfortable. The tools smooth mouse moving, enhance video subsystem funcionality and other characteristics.

WARNING: You can install the Parallels Tools only if the guest operating system is running and you are logged in. If you are not logged in now select Cancel and run Parallels Tools installation later."

What should I do now? This is driving me crazy.

4. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

after clicking the 'Install Parallels Tools' you will see that message again, please try to find a 'Parallels Tools setup disk'. It should be mounted to your Windows. Open this disk and try to start PrlTools.exe from there.

Best regards,
    Stacey

5. billznik

billznik Member

Ok, I installed the tools, now when I try to start Vista it keeps giving me a blue screen that says "Page_fault_in_nonpaged_area." What should I do to fix this.

6. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Please provide me with a screenshot of BSOD (blue screen).

Best regards,
    Stacey

7. billznik

billznik Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  8. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Is it possible to make a screenshot with only the blue screen, because your screenshot is a bit small?

Best regards,
    Stacey

9. billznik

billznik Member

10. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Please provide me with two more screenshots:
    1. 'Parallels Desktop' -> 'Preferences' -> 'Memory' tab.
    2. 'Edit' -> 'Virtual Machine' -> 'Memory' tab

Best regards,
    Stacey

11. billznik

billznik Member

12. billznik

billznik Member

Any developments? I'm basically at a standstill with my work because everything I need is in Vista. Please let me know as to my next step.

13. billznik

billznik Member

So what next guys? I really need to get into my Vista documents!

14. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

sorry for the delay.
    Please try to decrease the amount of memory allocated to both VM (Edit -> Virtual Machine) and Parallels Desktop (Parallels Desktop -> Preferences).

Best regards,
    Stacey

15. billznik

billznik Member

Argg, ok did that, clicked enable mouse blah blah blah in parallels tools, mouse still frozen in Vista still doesn't work correctly. Basically I can run Vista but I'm having the same exact problem as when I started. What can I do? This is extremely frustrating!

16. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Please provide me with screenshots of 'Devices Manager' in Vista.

Also please try to do the following:
    1. Open your Virtual Machine folder in Mac OS (Macintosh HD -> Documents -> Parallels -> <VM Name> by default) and delete the "Shared Windows Applications" folder if present
    2. Try to install Parallels Tools. If the problem persists, proceed to the steps below.
    3. Create a backup of "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield" folder and remove the folder.
    4. Restart Windows guest OS. Try to install Parallels Tools again. Restore the folder from backup if you encounter any problems after that.

Best regards,
    Stacey

17. billznik

billznik Member

Attached Files:

18. billznik

billznik Member

It doesn't let me "enable video driver" in parallels tools, does this have something to do with it? Can I please get a response, I will have to switch to Fusionware soon, I can't work like this.

19. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

please start your VM in the Safe Mode and uninstall Parallels Tools there. If necessary use this article.
    Then install Parallels Tools one more time.
    Will it make any change?

Best regards,
    Stacey

20. billznik

billznik Member

Attached Files: