Allow selection of specific Displays instead of "Use All Displays"

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac Feature Suggestions' started by PhilipH4, Jun 26, 2017.

1. PhilipH4

PhilipH4 Bit poster

As a professional user, I often use 3 (or more) displays. It would be extremely helpful if I could have Windows in Full Screen Mode, only use selected specific displays, rather than "all". There are times when I need to keep a window showing Mac desktop and want (need) to reduce the video overhead in Windows. I have tried going in to Windows display manager and telling it not to use a display but find that the setting is largely ignored or results in a very unstable display. I think it would be far better if Windows didn't even know about the display the extra display by having Parallels hide it...

LuisB5, Aries@PF, Excelmate and 24 others like this.
  2. SirCodesALot

SirCodesALot Member

I've been using PD for some time now and I was wondering if it would be a possibility, like USB devices to select which monitors to use in full screen? My configuration now uses my MacBook Pro opened and I would like my Windows 10 VM to just use 2 Apple Cinema displays in "full screen".

What do you guys think? Could this be useful to you?

3. MatthewS9

MatthewS9 Junior Member

4. SachinK1

SachinK1 Bit poster

5. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Yes, you can visit our Facebook Page and get support.

6. LeticiaM1

LeticiaM1 Junior Member

Thanks for Facebook support page!

7. SirCodesALot

SirCodesALot Member

Hi @MariaH5, I was looking into it and it looks like they were able to get it to work with the MultiMonitor tool. Here's there post. I believe you can find the tool here: https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/multi_monitor_tool.html

I personally haven't used this tool, but it seems quite promising so YMMV. I don't have this 3rd monitor configuration at the moment, but that may actually change now that I know about the MultiMonitor Tool.

8. Excelmate

Excelmate Bit poster

I have 3/4 displays, mbp, hp 27" 4k, iPad sidecar or an old small monitor which I use the for monitoring tasks / trello / email etc.
    Main screens for parallels, but I often have to disconnect the sidecar or small screen as MBP starts to freeze or I end up getting resource / RAM errors when testing. I prefer coherence only because I seem to have less issues, but I would rather use full screen with just selected monitors.

9. CraigO4

CraigO4

I have (6) 4K monitors (23' Mac Studio M2 Ultra 128GB 2TB SSD) and I do development/cyber work that hosts many VMs simultaneously to support different DevSecOps pipelines. I often develop in different VMs for different reasons and perform cybersecurity assessments on different OS'. I would love to be able to have a different VM in each screen with a main working VM spanned across 2 or 4 screens. I pay enough for a Parallels license every year to not have to download a 3rd party app to support this. Lets make this happen!