Access or Paralles

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by WilliamJ5, Dec 29, 2016.

1. WilliamJ5

WilliamJ5 Bit poster

I have a Mac and several graphic heavy programs that are Windows only. Would it be better to host those programs on a Windows box and remotely access that box from my Mac or would I be better off using Parallels to create a virtual machine and load the programs on the virtually loaded Windows.
    I have database management software and other software that are Windows only. I have two workstations that could serve as an application server if remotely accessing the Windows machines is the best option. I also have a SBS 2011 Standard server that I could configure as an applications server. The SBS server is currently a file and email server.
    My Mac is an Imac, Late 2015, 5K, i5, with 8 gigs of RAM. I will upgrade the RAM this week to 32 gigs or so.
    My Windows workstations are i3s and older with 4 gigs of RAM. The programs run fine in those environments.
    I tried Teamviewer. It worked fine, but input was a bit slow on my older workstations.
    I have already purchased Parallels 12 and have an updated copy of Windows 7 working on my Mac. I allocated 4 gigs of RAM to the virtual machine. It runs very well. I have not yet loaded any of my Windows programs on the vm.
    I really don't want to load up my Mac if I don't have to. It is my newest and best computer, however.
    Thank you for your help.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  2. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello William. For using graphic heavy programs in Windows, we generally recommend the Pro Edition as it provides enhanced graphic and RAM support.