VM Stops with Critical Error -- Log File Shows EPT Misconfiguration

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by JulianK1, Mar 27, 2020.

1. JulianK1

JulianK1 Bit poster

Hey folks. Been going crazy with this issue for months and can't figure it out. Basically, any VM I try to run stops with a critical error. Doesn't matter what kind of VM I create -- Windows, Mac OS, whatever, it has the same issue. In fact, I installed a trial copy of VMware and had the exact same issue.
    Based on the vm.log file (attached) it looks like the problem stems from some sort of EPT misconfiguration or fault, but I have no idea what to do about that or how to solve it. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. JulianK1

JulianK1 Bit poster

Just in case anyone runs into this problem in the future, I finally figured out the solution. Seems to be a hardware issue around the hyperthreading capabilities of my MacBook Pro. I disabled hyperthreading using the Terminal commands listed on this Apple page (which are intended to mitigate against the Spectre hardware flaw but were useful in this case as well). The EPT misconfiguration error disappeared, and Parallels runs perfectly now. No noticeable speed issues even without hyperthreading.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT210108