Personal configuration for performance

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Petrus2, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Petrus2

Petrus2 Bit poster

Hi folks
    I recently made the parallels investment (I was using VirtualBox). I am hoping that some expert could provide me with some recommended settings for my VM. Yes there are many resources on the web on this topic, but most are so broad or requires so much knowledge that I cannot use the information.
    If there is someone that will be so kind, here are all the details I thought relevant (please let me know if there is something I missed):
    The host
    • Mac Pro (Late 2013)
    • MacOS Catalina
    • 3.5GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5
    • 64GB 1866MHz DDR3
    • AMD FirePro D500 3GB
    • 1TB SSD
    The guest
    • Windows 2016 Server
    • Significant Apps by order of importance:
      1. Microsoft 2016 SQL Server
      2. MS Visual Studio
      3. IIS. I'm not sure what the actual app name is - I manage it with an app called "Internet Information Services Manager"
      4. Games - Rome Total War and Age of Empires (not priority at all)
    • I often get a new VM, but that is not an issue - I just set it up as the previous one
    My job
    Microsoft Dynamics 365 Finance & Operations ISV developer. Which means I spend my life on Visual Studio.

I have a nice setup, but still, I often struggle with performance in VS on the VM. Which is the primarily caused by my shortage of knowledge on VM setup.
    I am primarily interested in the ideal CPU & RAM configuration. And then any thing else I can do or set to improve performance on the VM. I have played around with settings a lot, but I never really become any wiser. Hence the post - I'd rather take some expert's opinion than my own.

Thank you for your attention