VM-file names containing "é" in the Time Machine exclude list will still be backed up.

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by TheodK, Feb 17, 2019.

1. TheodK

TheodK Member

Dear all,
    I reported this problem to Parallels but some of you might find the following useful to know. In my Parallels Desktop version 14.2.1 there is no checkmark anymore for excluding a VM file from being backed up by Time Machine. Instead there is a notification that the file is (not) backed up and that you should check the list of excluded files in Time Machine settings.
    I had some files with the text "Privé" in the file name. They had been automatically added to the exclude list of Time Machine, but Time Machine still created backups from these files. While this backup was created Parallels stopped working completely and had to be forced to shut down. Even OSX got stuck when closing down. This all had something to do with the "é" in the filename.
    Changing "Privé" into "Private" solved the matter. But I wonder if Time Machine has a bug or if the name was incorrectly registered by Parallels in its ignore list. Hopefully this gets solved in the future.
    Theo

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    Maria@Parallels likes this.
  2. Hi Theo, if you decide to continue investigation of this issue, could you please provide us with more info about it. We need problem report which will be generate right after the fail of time machine backup of Parallels VM with "Privé" name.
    And also we need problem report right after successful backup of "Private" VM name.

you can check this KB article for more info about Problem report creation.
    Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

3. TheodK

TheodK Member

I must say the problem cannot be reported. Why? Because one of the latest updates of Parallels Desktop added my VM's to the list of files that should not be backed up by Time Machine.If the file name had an "é" Time Machine ignored this listing of the file and still started a backup. There was no crash at that point. A colleague of you already contacted me stating that it actually was an Apple issue. And I think he is right. Weirdly enough other files with an "é" like for example "Privé.rtf" don't have this problem. I'm stumped.
    For the moment consider this problem to be "closed".
    Theo

4. @TheodK, thanks a lot for your reply. But anyway if you sometimes decide to investigate it (I mean the issue with "é" or other specific characters on your VM name) I'm always ready to help you.
    Thank you once again.