No Optical Drive...

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by WakkoWarner, Dec 15, 2018.

1. WakkoWarner

WakkoWarner Junior Member

When I used Parallels on Thursday (my Windows 7 installation), the optical drive worked just fine. When I booted it up today, it says the optical drive is connected, but it does not show up in Windows. I need to burn a disc in Windows. What the heck happened?? How do I fix this. I have tried everything that I know how to do.

The optical drive works just fine on the Mac side. I need to get this rectified ASAP. If anyone has any ideas on this one, your input will be greatly appreciated. Parallels chat support is worthless.

2. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @WakkoWarner , please try Actions > Reinstall Parallels Tools and check if that works.

3. WakkoWarner

That one of the first things I tried. I even reinstalled Parallels - no change. Finally, I decided to look at the advanced optical drive options. I selected the drive I use all the time, then changed the SATA setting from 02 to 06 - it worked. Now it is loading the optical drive. I have no idea what changed, since I haven't made any changes to that Windows installation.

4. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Is it an external or internal drive?

5. WakkoWarner

I have never seen an external drive with SATA port options (unless someone has an eSATA enclosure, which is very uncommon). Both of my drives are internal (Mac Pro).

6. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

If you face the issue again, create a technical report before and after changing the port options.