SOLVED: Snow Leopard (10.6) no longer allowed in Parallels 13? -> SERVER VERSION NEEDED TO WORK!

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by viola, Sep 15, 2017.

1. viola

viola Hunter

I am having problems installing Snow Leopard as a guest in Parallels 13. I also attempted to open an old VMware image of it and likewise hit failure.

Is it no longer possible to install it?

2. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

If it is a problem with Yellow exclamation sign on disk while selecting disk to install, then looks like it is an issue in Parallels Desktop. As a workaround while installing please start the Disk Utility inside VM:
    SnowLeopard's MainMenu -> Utilities -> DiskUtility
    Click on disk, on the right side choose Parition Tab, Press "-" to delete the partition. Then press "+" to create a new partition. Press "Apply".
    Quit from Disk Utilities

3. viola

viola Hunter

Thank you, but it is prior to the OS installation even starting. I cannot get the image to connect in such a way as to allow the installer to even start. It seems that the system just won't detect the installer dmg.

4. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hi, It is strange,
    could you please go to the VM Configuration -> Hardware -> Boot Order -> Advanced and enter the line "vm.efi.debug=1" to the Boot Flags (without quotes). Then reproduce the problem and send a problem report (menu of Parallels Desktop Help -> Send technical data) and post here its number

5. tinue-

tinue- Bit poster

The current 13.3.0 explicitly tells me that it only allows the server versions of Leopard and Snow Leopard. Actually first it crashes, but on the 2nd or 3rd attempt to boot from the Snow Leopard Installation DVD is shows a proper message.

6. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

could you please go to the VM Configuration -> Hardware -> Boot Order -> Advanced and enter the line "vm.efi.debug=1" to the Boot Flags (without quotes). Then reproduce the problem and send a problem report (menu of Parallels Desktop Help -> Send technical data) and post here its number

7. LizY1

LizY1 Bit poster

I have Parallels Desktop 13 for Mac Pro on a trial basis (on El Capitan 10.11). I had hoped to be able to run Snow Leopard 10.6 as a Guest OS so that I can access Power PC Applications. I have been unsuccessful in installing Snow Leopard. I am confused as to whether this is possible... this thread would suggest that I can?

I have six days left of the trial and am very keen to have Parallels if it will do the job! If there is any earlier version of Parallels that will perform what I need I would be happy to purchase that (this thread would suggest that it is possible).

Thanks

8. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hi, please go to the VM Configuration -> Hardware -> Boot Order -> Advanced and enter the line "vm.efi.debug=1" to the Boot Flags (without quotes). Then reproduce the problem and send a problem report (menu of Parallels Desktop Help -> Send technical data) and post here its number

9. LizY1

LizY1 Bit poster

Thank you for quick reply. I have sent the report 248840476

10. LizY1

LizY1 Bit poster

Hello, any feedback on the report? I assume that you got it...

11. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Sorry, for the late response. The code has detected that non-server version of Snow Leopard is installing. Apple license explicitly forbids us to run non-server version in virtual machine. Sorry, you need to install Snow Leopard Server.

12. viola

viola Hunter

13. MichaelLAX

MichaelLAX Member

It was a common myth that the Snow Leopard EULA prohibited its use in virtualization on a Mac, initially perpetuated by an erroneous Parallels Tech Support article that continues to spread this error to this day.

Parallels has it own license agreement directly with Apple, that prohibits it from allowing Snow Leopard to be installed into Parallels. Any end-user attempt to go around those devices, does not violate the Snow Leopard EULA.

That being said, although Snow Leopard can be made to work in Parallels (https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...and-rosetta-into-parallels-7-in-lion.1365439/), it is much easier to install and operate Snow Leopard Server (https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...llels-7-in-lion.1365439/page-23#post-17285039).

warnergt likes this.
  14. EdwardS2

EdwardS2 Bit poster

How does one go about getting a legitimate copy of Snow Leopard server these days? I still have my Snow Leopard (non-server) DVD and can't imagine what the logic is in only allowing the server version to be run in a VM.

15. MichaelLAX

MichaelLAX Member

Edward: As noted in the updated first post in my thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...and-rosetta-into-parallels-7-in-lion.1365439/ , "Apple is now selling Snow Leopard Server for $19.99 + sales tax & shipping costs at 1.800.MYAPPLE (1.800.692.7753) - Apple Part Number: MC588Z/A (telephone orders only)."

Be persistent; not all Apple operators realize SLS is still being sold. If necessary, hang up and call again!

A recent postee on another thread confirmed that she could still purchase Snow Leopard Server directly from Apple for $20.

Logic has nothing to do with it. Historically it was all about money.

Once Snow Leopard could be successfully installed into Parallels on a Mac, it could then be modified and transported to a PC Hackintosh and Apple would lose hardware sales.

In those days Snow Leopard Server sold for $400-500 and by allowing the virtualization companies to install SLS into virtualization, Apple satisfied the demand for the ability to run Snow Leopard in virtualization, at a price that made sense for them for the small percentage that would migrate over to Hackintoshes.

Since Apple wants you to run the latest Mac OS now, they are not inclined to allow Snow Leopard (non-server) to run in virtualization, even though they are now selling SLS for the same $20. Hence, for historical reasons, Snow Leopard (non-server) cannot easily be installed or run in virtualization.

Since SLS continues to sell for $20 and is easier to both install and run in virtualization, it makes sense to just do it that way:

Installing Snow Leopard Server into Parallels for DUMMIES:

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...llels-7-in-lion.1365439/page-23#post-17285039

warnergt likes this.
  16. RAILITYL

RAILITYL Member

Thank you, but it is prior to the OS installation even starting. I cannot get the image to connect in such a way as to allow the installer to even start. It seems that the system just won't detect the installer dmg.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  17. MalikF

MalikF Bit poster

• In Settings, click on "Storage" and then look under "IDE Controller" to remove the Snow Leopard install DVD, ISO, or DMG - if you don't do this, the VM will boot back into the installer rather than into Mac OS X 10.6
    • Close out of Settings, select your VM, and click on "Start" to boot the virtual machine
    If you see a bunch of error messages with white text on a black screen, ignore all of that and let VirtualBox boot. Soon the familiar Mac OS X Snow Leopard setup screen will load to pick region settings and setup the virtual machine as any other new Mac. source : http://osxdaily.com/2011/11/17/install-run-mac-os-x-10-6-snow-leopard-in-virtual-machine-on-lion/ libertic.xyz

18. DominikHoffmann

DominikHoffmann Junior Member

I just tried an old Snow Leopard (not Server) VM that had obviously worked at some point in Parallels 15.1.2. It will not boot, as Parallels detects that it is a version whose virtualization is not permitted.

19. OdinD

OdinD Bit poster

It seems that the system just won't detect the installer dmg.

20. MahadevB

MahadevB Bit poster

I cannot install neither Leopard nor Snow Leopard to my virtual machine. It stops with this error:
    An invalid Mac OS version is installed. Mac OS X virtual machines can have only the Mac OS X Server Leopard or Mac OS X Server Snow Leopard operating system installed. Other versions of Mac OS are not supported.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2021