Unable to get Bridged networking to provide a network IP to Windows from the wireless router.

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by JulesB1, Mar 18, 2016.

1. JulesB1

JulesB1 Bit poster

I've tried switching from Bridged Wifi and Bridged Ethernet and back to Shared and back to them all again...but cannot seem to get the Windows 7 VM to get an IP from the couple of routers I'm using?

My Mac (obviously) always gets an IP 192.168.1.X, whereas Windows 7 always gets something like 10.211.55.199 which seems to be a Mac Hosted (shared?) address? I cannot ping that address on my wireless or ethernet network - which I don't expect to either.

I've tried reinstalling Parallels Tools....and obviously had to reboot windows on each change to the network settings I tried?

I'm running out of my trial time of 14 days...2 to go and not having much success with this tbh. Any help would be appreciated - and I would immediately buy the full version (which I've done previously - but now am on El Capitain).

I need this functionality as I have a device that I would like to provide access to my Windows VM across the local network - wifi or wired...

2. JulesB1

JulesB1 Bit poster

I have no problems accessing the internet from Windows 7...or even localhost on Windows from my Mac browser using the 10.211.55.199 address...but not from outside the Mac as I need a network IP in Windows - right?

3. JulesB1

JulesB1 Bit poster

SO DOES BRIDGED NETWORKING JUST NOT WORK AS WRITTEN?? I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW BEFORE SPENDING MONEY ON PARALLELS...THX

RUNNING WINDOWS 7.

4. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Hi @JulesB1,
    When bridge networking mode is used, your virtual machine's network card establishes a direct connection with your Mac computer's network card using a technology called "bridging." As a result:
    A virtual machine appears as a separate physical computer that belongs to the same subnet as the Mac it is running on.
    A DHCP server (e.g., your router) provides a virtual machine with an IP address within the same IP range as other computers in the same subnet.
    A virtual machine can ping and see all computers in the subnet.
    Other computers can ping and see the virtual machine.

5. JulesB1

JulesB1 Bit poster

Thanks Dhruba . FYI I actually couldn't get this work at all...until I manually setup the network details in the Windows VM. Nowhere did anything in Parallels support suggest checking these settings.
    I'm not that familiar with Windows (7) but found under Network and Sharing Centre / Local Area Connection 'Status' / Properties / Internet Protocol Version 4 / Properties...where I discovered Obtain an IP address automatically wasn't checked. I decided to setup a fixed IP having found this. Hope this helps others!

6. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Thanks for the information, @JulesB1! This will help the other users too.

7. Chris_H

Chris_H Bit poster

Same problem here. Bridging creates a whole another subnet then my home network. Although I can access the outside Internet, I am unable to access a lantronix device server I use for my security system that is on the same subnet as my router and Mac. It used to work on Desktop 12, I'm also checking my Asus router to see if something changed there.