Any advantages between a Bootcamp connect or a VM on Mac OS drive?

Discussion in 'Parallels Access and Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by DennisM4, Sep 28, 2017.

1. DennisM4

DennisM4 Bit poster

I need to do a wipe and fresh install of my Windows 10 Bootcamp partition on my MacBook Pro. I have been using Parallels by connecting it to my Bootcamp Windows partition.
    I was wondering if there are any advantages to doing a separate bootcamp partition and accessing it with Parallels versus a Parallels virtual machine that runs directly on my Macintosh HD.
    Are there any advantages in performance or feature capabilities between the two options?
    About the only advantage I see for a Bootcamp install is the ability to boot the computer totally in Windows if needed.

2. TomK9

TomK9 Bit poster

Depends on the applications you run. I see no benefit to BootCamp. I prefer to run Windows as a VM. This way I can have Windows on my external monitor and MacOS on the other monitor. I can use both at the same time with no discernible slowdown. If I do not need Windows, I close the VM. It opens quickly when I need it without having to reboot my mac. But I do not run any processor intensive applications. If you are doing video rendering or anything that uses a lot of CPU power, then running each OS individually would make sense. But for typical office-type applications, VMs work well. I have run 2 Windows VM simultaneously on my 2012 Macbook Pro. But I have maxed out memory and run an SSD.