Parallels Desktop 13.1 update causes 'Handle Not Found' in Windows 10 after Parallels Tools Install

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by JohnL20, Oct 10, 2017.

1. JohnL20

JohnL20 Bit poster

I recently installed the 13.1 update (build 43108). When I bring up my Windows 10 VM, it 'auto installs' an update to Parallels Tools. When it is finished, it reboots, I get a Windows 'Handle Not Found' error. This is repeatable. I can restore my VM using Time Machine and the VM comes up, and I can log in without the 'Handle Not Found' error. Again, once I log in, Parallels Tools will 'Auto Install', and the cycle starts again.

I tried to temporarily solve this problem by disableing the auto install of Parallels Tools using this KB: http://kb.parallels.com/en/122947 This did not solve the problem.

I have now restored the Parrallels Desktop app itself. This also did not solve the issue.

Now I am restoring BOTH the Parrallels Desktop app AND the Windows 10 VM back to BEFORE the upgrade to 13.1. I will report back on the results of this test shortly.

This seem certain to me to be a parallels issue. The issue showed up after the upgrade to Parallels Desktop 13.1.

Please update your parallels tools install and release a fix/update ASAP.

Update: After restoring BOTH the VM and the Parallels Desktop Application back to 2 weeks ago resolved the issue. I will not be able to update to any future version of Parallels Tools until this issue is resolved by Parallels.

JohnL20

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    AlexZ1 likes this.
  2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @JohnL20, generally, the issue occurred due to the Windows update.

You can try the following steps to fix the issue:
    1. Login to Windows virtual machine.
    2. From Parallels Desktop toolbar choose Devices --> Keyboard --> Ctrl+Alt+Delete
    3. Go to Task Manager and Select File --> Run new task
    4. In the Run box type in " C:\Windows\system32\ctfmon.exe " and then click "OK".

3. SonnyR

SonnyR Bit poster

Hello Guys,is there eanyone that can help me on my parallel issue? I purchased Parallel 12 last november 2016.
    I upgraded to Parallel 13 and my activation key is not working.
    Green check is there but after i activate, it says that activation key is invalid.
    Please help.

4. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @SonnyR , did you purchase the upgrade to Parallels Desktop 13 for Mac?

5. SonnyR

SonnyR Bit poster

Hi @Arun, i didn't purchase. am i entitled for free update from parallel 12 going to 13?
    Another issue is, i uninstalled my parallels and try to reinstall the originally purchased parallel 12. now my windows cannot open. I used my previous windows PVM but it says no boot found. it never runs anymore. can u help me to solve this issue?

6. Alfena@Parallels

Alfena@Parallels Pro

Hello @SonnyR , On checking your records, we found that you have Parallels Desktop 12 permanent license which is not eligible for a free upgrade to version 13. please refer http://kb.parallels.com/124229 to check the user's eligibility to upgrade to version 13. Please follow the steps provided at http://kb.parallels.com/123150 and check if it works.
    Thanks