Email stating "Free Upgrade" now requires 49.99 upgrade fee after install??

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by KarenD1, Sep 25, 2017.

1. KarenD1

KarenD1 Bit poster

Did anyone else get an email for a "Free Upgrade" to PD 13? I clicked on the "Download Your Free Upgrade", download and installed, then opened up my VM. ONLY THEN did Parallels tell me that I have now started a free TRIAL of PD 13 (I have a PAID subscription to version 12) and now have to pay 49.99 in the next 14 days to continue using my VM. WHAT!?!?!?!

The email clearly stated Free Upgrade. I did get another separate email saying "click here to upgrade for 49.99" which I didn't use considering I also got the "upgrade for free" email. Called tech support and they gave me 30 minute run around about how when it said "subscription users" it didn't mean "Permanent subscription users" and now I have to pay 49.99. I explained that I am a subscription user, a permanent subscription user, and used the email for the free upgrade. "subscription user" is a general term where as "Subscription" user has a different legal definition.

Tell me how the image below says it is a trial version that I will have to pay 49.99 to continue to use?? And when I opened my VM, it automatically updated the version of Parallels Tools to version 13 so I am guessing I can't downgrade back to version 12 (which has been flakey lately, very flakey) - seems coincidental with a "free" upgrade... Anyone else have similar experiences??

2. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Hi KarenD1,
    We see that you have received free upgrade alert in email. As you have Pro subscription, you are eligible for a free upgrade. You can use your Pro subscription key to activate Parallels Desktop 13.