Cannot boot my VM after upgrade to 13

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by fpmalard, Aug 24, 2017.

1. fpmalard

fpmalard Member

I have just installed the upgrade and my VM simply doesn't boot.
    I have 3 disk images and 1 cd. The POST screen says none of them were find to boot.
    I have also tried to remove and add these images again to my VM configuration, no luck.
    Here is my POST screen and VM configuration screen:

Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 14.46.39.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 14.45.11.jpg

Any clue?

Regards,
    Fernando.

2. fpmalard

fpmalard Member

I have returned to V12 once I need to work and cannot wait for a solution.
    V12 started normally so it seems V13 is broken.
    Have you guys at Parallels really tested V13 before releasing it?
    It seems you didn't! :mad:

3. rkulikov

rkulikov Parallels Developers

Can you please reproduce the problem, make VM window active, in Mac application menu go to Help -> Send Technical Data. Post problem report id here.

4. fpmalard

fpmalard Member

Hi, I'm sorry but I had to return to V12 once I have to work.
    I have tried to reassign the HD drives again as suggested here: http://kb.parallels.com/123150
    Same problem, even being there the HDs are not recognized as valid boot units.
    I have reinstalled V12 (without changing anything in my VM configuration) and my VM worked again without any issue.
    I'm pretty sure there is something wrong with V13.
    I will try to test it again and generate the report.
    Thank you.

5. viola

viola Hunter

I think there is an EFI boot problem in 13 since it is missing now in the configuration settings where it used to be present.

PJS1 likes this.
  6. john@appmagic.com

john@appmagic.com Bit poster

I have the same problem with Windows 10 after installing Parallel Tools.
    And I send the Technical Data with ID #208993343

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  7. fpmalard

fpmalard Member

I have tried again with version 13.0.1. Same problem. I have submitted the report ID 211735917.
    See attached screenshot of the error I'm experiencing:

Screen Shot 2017-09-12 at 21.04.20.jpg

8. Apple25

Apple25 Bit poster

Guys did anyone find a solution yet ?

9. JasperL

JasperL Bit poster

I have the same issue like yours.
    I can't open my bootcamp windows 10 in existence on parallels desktop after upgrading to Parallels desktop from 11 to 13.
    So far, I can't still find any solutions.

10. MichaelC23

MichaelC23 Bit poster

I have a similar problem with 13. It takes for ever for the log in screen to appear in Windows 10. 13 seems to run much slower than 12. Any ideas?

11. LeoK2

LeoK2 Bit poster

I have the same issue.
    Anyone knows how I can downgrade to previous version????

12. fpmalard

fpmalard Member

Hi LeoK2,
    I did this, reinstalled V12 and my VM worked just fine.
    As you didn't boot the VM in V13 the Parallels tools and drivers weren't upgraded so the VM is intact.
    Once you install V12 it will replace V13 and keep your VMs with the same configuration.
    One thing I'm not sure is if V12 will run in HighSierra which will come up next Monday. If it doesn't I will need to hold the macOS update until Parallels resolve this issue. Hopefully now that are more users complaining about it they would spend more time trying to resolve that.
    Regards.

13. MichaelC23

MichaelC23 Bit poster

Hi LeoK2

I manage to log in by reducing the Windows 10 full screen image to my working window and the log in then appears. It is getting faster. Unfortunately I have logged in so it looks as if I can't reinstall V12

14. AlanQ1

AlanQ1 Bit poster

Since you can get into your VM, you should be able uninstall Parallels Tools (from within Windows) and then downgrade your Parallels version. Back up your VM beforehand.

15. AlanQ1

AlanQ1 Bit poster

Definitely slower...even after logging in, it takes forever so that the VM is usable. The icons on the taskbar take forever to load and even after you see them, clicking them doesn't do anything but give you a spinner. Once it finally loads everything, it appears to work as normal, but it is definitely much slower than 12.

16. JasperL

JasperL Bit poster

Hey, knock knock, is anybody belongs to PD home?
    Do something!
    You know most of PD users are using the software for business or work.

fpmalard likes this.
  17. fpmalard

fpmalard Member

I'm really disappointed with all this. The beta program is supposed to anticipate and fix things like that. I think a problem like this, a simple install+upgrade, would easily appear through their tests during the beta stage.
    They added a lot of useless toys to this version but what really matters seems to be left behind.
    My subscription annual fee is paid, macOS High Sierra will come out today and we still need to stick with old versions.
    C'mon Parallels!

18. KarenD1

KarenD1 Bit poster

Did anyone else get an email for a "Free Upgrade" to PD 13? I clicked on the "Download Your Free Upgrade", download and installed, then opened up my VM. ONLY THEN did Parallels tell me that I have now started a free TRIAL of PD 13 (I have a PAID subscription to version 12) and now have to pay 49.99 in the next 14 days to continue using my VM. WHAT!?!?!?! The email clearly stated Free Upgrade. I did get another separate email saying "click here to upgrade for 49.99" which I didn't use considering I also got the "upgrade for free" email. Called tech support and they gave me 30 minute run around about how when it said "subscription users" it didn't mean "Permanent subscription users" and now I have to pay 49.99. I explained that I am a subscription user, a permanent subscription user, and used the email for the free upgrade. "subscription user" is a general term where as "Subscription" user has a different legal definition.

Tell me how the image below says it is a trial version that I will have to pay 49.99 to continue to use?? And when I opened my VM, it automatically updated the version of Parallels Tools to version 13 so I am guessing I can't downgrade back to version 12 (which has been flakey lately, very flakey). Anyone else have similar experiences??

19. PJS1

PJS1 Bit poster

I have the same problem! I had to revert to V12. What is up with this V13 install? There is no EFI option in the boot settings... I lost 2 hrs at work today because of this.

20. IkeZ

IkeZ Bit poster

Same problem here. I Installed v13 and my VM runs perfectly, EXCEPT that it can not see the Mac at all, no drives, no folders, nothing. Re-installing v13 does nothing to help. I've tried re-installing v12 but that hasn't helped either. I also use my machine for work, have wasted an entire day trying to get this working and I am extremely pissed off about this. I tried a chat session with a support person but that did not help either. Has anyone found a solution?