Windows Virtual Machine Not Showing In Finder Sidebar

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by SandyG1, Sep 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. SandyG1

SandyG1 Member

Windows drive is not showing in Finder. Unable to access Windows files from Mac without going into the VM.
    I have uninstalled and reinstalled Parallels Tools. No change
    By chance I just looked in Network Option after opening up the device option for my mac. I have now found the VM under network.
    Why has this been removed from the list under "Device". Is there a way to get it back under the device section in the Finder sidebar?

2. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @SandyG1 , please click on the Parallels Icon > Configure> Options > Sharing > Share Windows > Please make sure the Access Windows drive from Mac is checked.

3. SandyG1

SandyG1 Member

Yes, Access Windows drive is checked.
    The windows drive is listed under Network. Network is listed when the Macbook device is selected on the sidebar. Previously Windows VM was listed as a device on the sidebar and it a shortcut was also placed on the desktop. This is no longer the case on both counts.

4. RogerH6

RogerH6 Hunter

I've seen the same.
    If you select them from the network drive selections, it then places the shortcuts on the desktop.
    You have to go to Settings, Users, (Your user name). Login Items, and add these shares here for them to automatically appear on startup.

5. SandyG1

SandyG1 Member

Still unable to access Windows folders via Finder. As stated, Windows VM appears in Network when running the VM. Clicking this results in an error/warning: "The operation can't be completed because the original item for [C] Microsoft Windows can't be found".

Parallels, please help. This is recent change since upgrading.

6. SandyG1

SandyG1 Member

Parallels PLEASE HELP

7. Arun@Parallels

Hi @SandyG1 , please help us with the screenshots, we will check and assist you.

8. SandyG1

SandyG1 Member

Screenshots uploaded as requested. Appreciate your help

Attached Files:

9. SandyG1

SandyG1 Member

Parallels Support: Any update on this please? I see a solution is not included in the latest release.

10. Arun@Parallels

Hi @SandyG1 , please right click on the Windows pvm file and open with Parallels Mounter and check if you can view that in Mac side bar.

11. SandyG1

SandyG1 Member

3 drives appeared on my side bar. However now I am unable to use the VM. see attached picture. When running it says no operating system

Attached Files:

12. SandyG1

SandyG1 Member

I have followed the following to resolve with no luck.
    http://kb.parallels.com/113617
    http://kb.parallels.com/123150
    Even after reboot of MAc the VM is still sitting in Suspended state by unable to shutdown as there is no operating system. Unable to Reset as this option is no available from the Actions menu.

13. AdamB8

AdamB8 Bit poster

I am having the same problem since upgrading to the latest version, has anyone solved why windows doesn't appear in the Finder?

14. SandyG1

SandyG1 Member

I have now been able to gain access to the VM but now I get the following warning as attached.
    Still the C Drive does not show up unless using Parallels Mounter and then I was unable to access the VM.

Attached Files:

15. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Refer this article and resolve the issue.

16. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Eject the virtual drives mounted to the Finder using Parallels Mounter. Refer this article to know why you can't see Windows drives in Finder and how you can add them back.

17. SandyG1

SandyG1 Member

The article http://kb.parallels.com/124243 is useful. I can see Windows in the Shared section but unable to drag and drop the C drive into favorites as the article explains

18. jefferym2

jefferym2 Bit poster

For me, I "solved" the problem of "the operation can't be completed because the original item for windows 10 cant be found" by stopping the virtual machine, then starting it again.

19. jefferym2

jefferym2 Bit poster

I take that back. I think that this Parallels "feature" just doesn't work.