Trouble mapping to NAS drive

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Consonanza., May 29, 2017.

1. Consonanza.

Consonanza. Junior Member

I'm having trouble mapping my Windows 10 VM and Windows 7 VM to my Synology (DS1515) NAS.

Some background. I have been successfully doing this for some time with my Win 8.1 VM. Have now just installed Win 7 and Win 10 as separate VMs. As with the 8.1 installation I can see all the NAS shares (and manipulate all the files) on my MAC in Windows File Explorer. But when in Win 10 (or 7) I try to map to the NAS using the normal procedure (right click the Network drive, select Map Network Drive, fill in the username and password credentials for my NAS, I just get the error message "Windows cannot access \\DS1515".

I know the username and password are correct because I can successfully log out and back in to my NAS directly with those details.

Strange thing though, in my "working" 8.1 VM, whilst the existing mappings to the NAS are working and will auto mount when the NAS is on, when I disconnected one of the mapped shares and then tried to re-map it using the same procedure I described above, it failed with same error message as above. The only way I could access it again was to restore the original 8.1 VM from my Time machine!

I am pulling my already thinning hair out on this and would be glad for any help on this.

2. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @Consonanza. , please click on the Parallels Icon at the top of your Mac > Devices > Network > Bridge ( Default Adaptor) and check if you can access the Network drive.

3. Consonanza.

OK, so I launched the Win10 VM and all I can see under the Parallels icon is:
    Win10
    Control center
    New
    Open
    Preferences
    Convenience Store
    Upgrade etc etc

Nothing about Devices/Network/Bridges
    Have I missed something?

4. Arun@Parallels

Hi @Consonanza. , please click on the Windows 10 and click on the Parallels icon once again to get the Above settings.

5. Consonanza.

OK, tried again and I can see the View / Actions / Devices / Configure menu now.
    Under Devices, for Network 1, the Bridge (Default Adaptor) was not tcked. In selecting that, a whole host of devices can now be seen under the Windows network icon, including one for my DS1515. Brilliant.
    I'm trying to check that also on my Win8.1 VM but I can't replicate the step to be able to see the View / Actions / Devices / Configure menu. Can you state specifically what I should do to see that. I've clicked everything in sight without success. Don't know how I did it the first time.

6. Consonanza.

Ok, I got it - I was clicking on the Windows image bit in Control Centre, not the section to the right of that. All is well now.

Thank you very much. That Display adaptor must have got untcked when I upgraded something - Parallel Tools perhaps?

7. Arun@Parallels

Hi @Consonanza. , it will be unchecked if the Windows virtual machine is not in focus. We are glad that your issue is resolved. Please reach us anytime for further assistance.