Problems with upgrade to Fedora 25 or updating software

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by EricP1, Mar 15, 2017.

1. EricP1

EricP1 Bit poster

I am running Fedora 24 with Parallels 12. I find that if I either update it to 25 or install all the pending updates to 24:
    (a) It no longer mounts my Mac volumes, which makes it unusable for my purposes.
    (b) It takes a full minute and half to shut down or restart

I worked around it by reverting back to 24 and not installing any of the updates, but that's obviously not a long term solution.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

I've not run into those issues here, in fact 24 runs like a champ (25, not so much, because having to run in Xorg).

Just a thought, but you might want to check if anything triggered in SElinux. prlnettool usually triggers something on my end making me have to reset a new policy. prlvideo se-locked on me once, causing black screens. Might be that some other prl* driver is getting locked down on your end. Run the SElinux Troubleshooter to see if this is the case.

3. EricP1

EricP1 Bit poster

I tried completely disabling SElinux. That should prevent anything like this, right? It still can't mount disks.

This is really annoying. I was running another linux (Scientific Linux), and kept having trouble with the tools, so I finally decided "If I just download Fedora straight from Parallels, it will definitely work". I got one week out of it.

4. rkulikov

rkulikov Parallels Developers

Parallels Desktop 12.1.3 has issues with Linux 4.9 kernel. So I may suggest to try to downgrade kernel to 4.8 - this should work fine.

EricP1 likes this.
  5. EricP1

EricP1 Bit poster

Indeed, this solved the problem. Thanks!

6. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

Is there any timeline on when the 4.9 issues will be fixed, rkulikov?

MikeM12 likes this.
  7. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

Check that... Never mind the 4.9.x issues. I'd focus on 4.10.x, since Parallels Tools are yet again dead in the water.

8. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

initial issue:
    .../prl_fs/inode.c:767:14: error: *generic_readlink* undeclared here (not in a function)
    .readlink = generic_readlink

9. rkulikov

> .readlink = generic_readlink
    You may just drop this line from code on 4.10.

10. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

ok... wrapped that line as follows:
    #if LINUX_VERSION_CODE < KERNEL_VERSION(4,10,0)
    .readlink = generic_readlink,
    #endif
    retarred the lot into prl_mod.tar.gz then booted back into 4.10.5 and did:
    > dkms build parallels-tools/12.1.3.41532
    > dkms install parallels-tools/12.1.3.41532
    rebooted...
    ...and all is right with the world again.
    Oh, and adding "devices.usb.mouse=2" to the boot flags in the VM hardware boot order options is a brilliant workaround to the Xorg 1.19, as well.

Cheers, rkulikov!

11. rkulikov

Parallels Desktop 12.2.0 is out. Issues with Linux kernels 4.9 and 4.10 as well as with Xorg 1.19 are resolved there. Please update.

Mark Fine likes this.