File Recovery

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by GeorgeS7, Mar 17, 2017.

1. GeorgeS7

GeorgeS7 Bit poster

Hello, I am using parallels 12 on Mac OS Sierra. I have been using windows 7 as guest OS. Mac OS partitions are exposed within windows through mapped drives. A folder was deleted in one of those mapped drives. What happens in this case is that recovery is almost impossible from within windows guest. All tools I have used do not allow file recovery over mapped drives and deleted files did not go to any trash folder.

Anyone has experience recovering a deleted folder from the MAC OS side? Is there a tool that can probably find these files and allow restoration ?

Thanks in advance.

2. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

If you delete any Mac OS X file from the Windows desktop when the Mac OS X sharing is enabled, you will not be able to find it in Mac OS X Trash or Windows Recycle Bin. The file will be deleted from your computer permanently.

3. GeorgeS7

GeorgeS7 Bit poster

Thats my experience with this accident. No trash folder was able to save those files. However has anybody been able to achieve recovery of such files and folders by using undelete tools? I have tried a couple of tools but was unable to recover complete files or segments from the free deleted list. Is there any tool out there that does the magic trick? Its more in the area of forensics now or standard undelete. From windows side used recuva but doesnt seem to work on mapped drives

4. RyanK5

RyanK5 Bit poster

I've made a pathetic try of copy pasting and actually deleted a document I've been working on all night. Of course I don't like spending time on cleaning my recycle bin, so the trash went straight into eternity.

After a small panic attack and googling, I've been able to stumble across Disk drill. As you all have already guessed I am not so good at computers, but I was able to figure it out quickly, it saved me a whole bunch of time.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  5. julia1

julia1 Bit poster

Hi there -
    I just deleted my ENTIRE desktop on Mac as I deleted the files on the windows screen. Because PRE-installed Parallels came in the setting "synchronize desktop". I could not believe the idiocy of selling the program like this. My computer is now at place for data recovery costing me 1500 Euro. How can anybody assume after installing that if you delete a file on that second windows desktop it will delete the original file from Mac as well!

I am so totally disappointed with this! And I was so excited to Run the Windows Version of dragon dictation. Please, please parallels you can not have those settings preconfigured! I found many people online who had the same problem!

6. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @GeorgeS7 , do you have a snapshot taken recently?

7. loxerD

loxerD Bit poster

Yes, there are indeed such tools. I am sorry that I am late, I don't know if your problem has been solved. I hope that the files you deleted are not overwritten, so you can have a greater chance of recovery.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  8. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Yes, there are third-party tools with which you can try to recover deleted information from the hard disk. Unfortunately, we cannot suggest as anything might happen to the hard disk when you use that tool.

9. AdamB10

AdamB10 Bit poster

I've had such experience to delete entire folders of my photos that stored on My Mac, the OS is 10.14 Majove, and yet I tried to find some relevant data recovery tool for Majove, and you know what, Bitwar told me it's impossible to recover the deleted photos if some new data have already overwritten the photos. However, you can still try to perform the data recovery with the Deep Scan mode. It's a way to find more files for you.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    GeorgeH8 likes this.
  10. GeorgeH8

GeorgeH8 Bit poster

Has anyone found a suitable recovery tool? The author of the topic is open, I wonder how you solved the problem. Thank you in advance! It is very necessary to recover the data in the data is important data from the site.

Regards, George

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  11. Albert11

Albert11 Bit poster

Hi I just encountered the same problem with latest parallel running Windows 11 on latest mac mini. I deleted files in \\Mac\Home. Both trash folders in Windows and Mac do not have the files. I run recovery tool in Windows and Mac, still cannot find the files to recover. Can anyone help if any solution on this problem?