How to disable remote displays when connecting

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Parallels User, Feb 21, 2017.

1. I have 2 monitors connected to my MacBookPro - when I connect via Parallels Access to my mac remotely, those monitors plus the mac book pro's retina display all light up. How can I configure them to remain dark. I'm not there - I don't need my study illuminated by my computer and its screens advertising the fact that I'm accessing them remotely! I would rather the computer screens remain dark.

I suspect however, having searched though the various configuration files, that there is no way to configure the desired behaviour in Parallels Access - does anyone know of any work-around - perhaps using some other product/settings outside of Parallels?

Note, I don't want to actually power off the monitors - if I did that, the computer wouldn't recognise them and then when accessing remotely, all I'd see is one workspace - the retina display on the laptop itself.

2. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello Matthew. Are you referring to a functionality wherein the external screens, though when active, should suddenly go pitch black when the MacBook Pro is remotely accessed over Parallels Access?

3. Hi Hemnath, apologies for the delay in responding - had some difficulties in logging in to the forums!

Not quite. What I am referring to is the fact that I don't want my screens to be active when I am accessing the computer remotely.
    I leave home, my computer is on, but asleep. i get to work, wake my computer remotely using Parallels access and log in. Meanwhile back at home, my screens all spring to life and an observer in the room would be able to see everything I am doing. I want the screens to remain dark.

4. Hemnath@Parallels

I can't tell if we can make the screens remain dark while they're being accessed, but any observer in the room doesn't have to necessarily know what you're doing within the said screens - on the remote computer, please click on the Parallels Access icon on the very top of the screen, navigate to Preferences -> Advanced and place a checkmark on 'Lock this computer when working remotely'.

5. That is already ticked. Does it make a difference if the computer wasn't locked before I started accessing it remotely? So sometimes I've found that trying to wake the computer from sleep remotely doesn't work, so I've taken to simply sleeping the display when I leave in the morning and then I can log in remotely and not have to wake the computer. Ideally though, I would like the screens to actually remain completely dark when being accessed remotely.

6. Hemnath@Parallels

Then your computer is secure when being accessed remotely.
    No, it doesn't. But the computer itself shouldn't be in Sleep mode, else you can't awaken it remotely (unless the computer is accessed from a mobile device; see this article for details).
    We don't have such a feature with Parallels Access.

7. > We don't have such a feature with Parallels Access.
    Hmmm... Thats a bummer. Any plans to introduce it? Seems quite a security risk if you want to access a machine remotely that all the screens attached to it will show to anyone passing everything you are doing!

8. Hemnath@Parallels

Not so. The option we mentioned earlier will lock the screen while you are working on it remotely, so there's no security risk here. Of course, the screen won't go dark, but it'll be locked (with the Parallels icon showing on the screen, nothing more).
    I'll pass your request to the management/marketing team.

9. Hmmm... I wonder why it wasn't locking whilst I was using it remotely today? My wife and daughter could see what I was doing remotely, could even interfere by moving the mouse and click on things themselves! And that tickbox you mentioned is definitely ticked!

10. Hemnath@Parallels

Can you check this again and confirm please?