Privacy and tools

Discussion in 'Account and Subscription Management' started by RKS1, Jan 3, 2018.

1. RKS1

RKS1 Bit poster

Good morning (GMT+1).
    I just started my trial of Parallels For Mac to use with Debian and Kali. I am quite worried about the fact that I had to create an account to even begin testing, and then adding the Parallels Tools which I have no insight into yet.
    I kindly ask for information pertaining this setup, as I have no interest in sharing my VM:s, it's data or anything else about me with either the support of Parallels or the business as such. What exactly is sent? The tools have a good impact on the screen resolution, but I can live without that.
    The license I am thinking about buying is a personal one, meaning that I have even less interest in being bound to some online service.

Do I have to monitor the traffic of the installed tools on Debian/Kali in order to be calm?

Thank you,
    R

2. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

Hi R, Parallels Account is needed to make your journey with Parallels safe and convenient:
    • To make sure you can manage your licenses/subscriptions
    • To make sure you can reach Parallels Support even during trial period
    • To secure our business from software piracy.
    When registering an account at Parallels you have to agree with the terms of use, you may take a look at it - https://www.parallels.com/about/legal/terms/. In short, yes we do store your personal information (name, address, phone number) but also guarantee its confidentiality. We use two-factor authentication for accessing Parallels Account, so no one can access your account until you confirm via your registered email.

Apart from that, we have a Customer Experience Program (CEP) which is usual for software, you may review it's terms here - https://www.parallels.com/support/pcep/. CEP does not collect any private information or information that can be used to contact you. More details on how Parallels protects your privacy are provided here - https://www.parallels.com/support/pcep/privacy/.

As for the software itself and Parallels Tools, there is no data being transferred from your virtual machines to Parallels. Parallels Tools is a bundle with drivers and software to give you seamless experience with our virtual machine. The only upload traffic that is being transferred from a VM is the one that guest OS sends to Internet.

Whether you purchase a permanent license or a subscription, you are not bound to our online services except of product activation, which is obviously done online due to anti-piracy concerns.

RKS1 likes this.
  3. RKS1

RKS1 Bit poster

Thank you very much, you have been extremely helpful. I'll setup a new account and buy the license I'm interested in. Also, thanks for making great software!

4. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

Thank you very much for your kind words, @RKS1.

RKS1 likes this.