Multiple Core support

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by PeterW, Aug 29, 2006.

1. PeterW

PeterW Bit poster

Hi,

I managed to get parallels and XP running on my Mac Pro, but woe is me I can only use one core for XP! I understand that Parallels only uses one core, but I've got two more just ITCHING to be used. I'd be using 3dsmax and would like multi-core rendering capability.

Any chance?

Thanks,
    Peter

2. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

1. Possibility to assign more than 1 core to VM will be introduced in next major version.
    2. Even now your other cores are not idle. Aside from 1 thread for actual virtualization Parallels opens about 10 separate threads for graphic output, sound output, virtual disk operation, UI and so on.

3. PeterW

PeterW Bit poster

great Andrew, thanks for the info!

peter

4. bgose

bgose Member

Andrew,

Which major verson will you support multiple cores in? Is it 1940, the newest one, which one. I don't see it now in the latest one I have (1940).

When will Parallels get 64 bit support?

5. Andrew @ Parallels

1. Current design is very optimal for dual core systems - 1 core for Windows XP, 1 core for Mac OS X - optimal performance for both systems. So I don't see any reason to give Windows XP both cores and left Mac OS X without CPU power.

2. If you take Mac Pro with 4 cores - then it is make sense. We will introduce this feature in next major version - 3.0.

6. bgose

bgose Member

Yes, thank you! I have a Mac Pro and was really wanting multi-core support!

Again, what about 64bit support?

7. LeadToDeath

LeadToDeath Bit poster

still no multicore?

well 3.0 is out and still no multicore use ;/

even for users with just 2 cores (like me and my macbook) i would appreciate multicore support! if you're rendering, every core nearly doubles the speed and over night oder during lessons, i dont need macosx power at all ;)

any plans on the release? thx

8. bgose

bgose Member

Yeah Andrew, 3.0 is now out where is the multiple core support?

In addition, why doesn't SolidWorks run in Parallels like your literature states?

What's the deal?

9. steve.moore

steve.moore Bit poster

i've got an 8 core mac and was hoping that there will be a way to assign processor/core affinity... this is predicated in the thought that a single system could host several cpu intensive VM's without stepping on each other... i.e. one VM uses cores 0 and 1 while another could use core 3 and 4. any idea if processor affinity will be included in future releases?

10. bgose

bgose Member

Oh Steve you're just showing off...why don't you take your eight cores and go wave them in someone else's face!

Hi I'm Mr. Steve Moore and I've got 4 more cores than you losers! Ha, ha!

I'm just joking...wishing I had eight cores too, so I could wave them around at people. 'SIGH'

But seriously, there was a discussion concerning how Parallels uses hyperthreading to spread the processing around between all available cores in your machine. In reality, your VM only sees one core, but is using more.

I am a little tweaked about the lack of support for 64 bit OS's. One would think with the new Leopard coming out this would be rather important.

Guess we'll just have to sit around begging for support like usual until Parallels decides to give us what we need/want.

11. sparcdr

sparcdr Junior Member

64-bit first, multiple cores second. :)

12. Andrew @ Parallels

Multicore support is still under development. It will be included in one of upcoming 3.x free updates.

13. Infinite

Infinite Bit poster

Any updates?

14. Streetwise

Streetwise Bit poster

Anyone??? It's been a year now, Andrew. We're going to hold your feet to the fire now!! :)

15. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Multicore, will be supported in Parallels Desktop ver 4, and in Parallels Server it is supported now

16. Infinite

Infinite Bit poster

That is great news.

17. whschultz

whschultz Bit poster

No, that's bad news. They said it would be available in 3.0 prior to 3.0 shipping. Now they are implying we need to PAY for 4.0 to get this feature when we already bought 3.0, expecting this feature to become available in a free update.