RC2 MacBook Pro: No CD-RW/DVD-R drive (only normal CD - Drive like 10 years ago)

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Menace, Jun 2, 2006.

1. Menace

Menace Bit poster

RC2 MacBook Pro: No CD-RW/DVD-R drive (only normal CD-Rom Drive)

I only see a normal CD-Rom Drive in XP Home although Macbook Pro`s have got Superdrives (CD-RW / DVD-R Drives). When will I be able to copy / burn CD`s with Parallels Desktop by using a XP virtual machine?

Can somebody help me please?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2006
  2. Menace

Menace Bit poster

Do others see a DVD-R drive in their VM`s`?

3. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

This feature will be implemented in next version of Parallels. Now it is not available - sorry.

4. Menace

Menace Bit poster

Do you mean RC 3 or a later version after the final version came out?

5. Menace

Menace Bit poster

Thanks for the answer :-(

Last edited: Jun 7, 2006
  6. wesley

wesley Pro

Hmm, I don't get how you reached this conclusion. You got your answer. Incidentally, this question has been asked before SEVERAL times. Perhaps a bit of using the search function may help you better. BTW, when Andrew means 'next version', he means something like version 2.2, not the current 2.1 builds.

7. Andrew @ Parallels

Menace,

Sorry - I missed your subsequent question. Ofcourse I mean next major version of Parallels Desktop, not next build.

8. Menace

Menace Bit poster

Thanks but type in CD-R, CD-ROM, DVD-R etc. yourself and see what you get - almost nothiing.

9. Menace

Menace Bit poster

Thanks Andrew.

10. Menace

Menace Bit poster

BTW, there are XP drivers out there already for the superdrive. I really wonder why Parallels can`t add it earlier.

11. Andrew @ Parallels

Because emulated virtual CD/DVD does not support burning. To support burning we have to improve our CD/DVD emulation or organize pass-through access to your host CD/DVD device. We are working on it in our 3.0 branch but it will not be included into 2.0.

12. Menace

Menace Bit poster

Thanks Andrew, but ...

1.) Will Parallels Desktop start with 1.0 or 2.0?
    2.) When is 3.0 expected? ( within weeks, months, or even in a year)
    3.) When will we expect full USB 2.0 support?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2006
  13. joem

joem Forum Maven

The availability of pass through for EVERYTHING except memory, the hard disk host partition, the NICs, and the screen would be a wonderful thing -- highly desirable. Keyboard and mouse virtualization is probably going to be required to satisfy many people and is fine the way it's being done now, but USB devices (absolutely ALL of them except keyboard and mouse) full 2.0, should be available to a guest if authorized by the user. Having virtualization available if desired by the user to enable devices to be shared is fine, but full guest pass through would solve ALL my problems. Please, please do it. (Or explain why you can't). There are way too many devices the host can't handle but the guest can, to expect you to be able to virtualize all of them, and insisting on doing so is a HUGE bottleneck and a really bad (IMNSHO) philosophical decision.

Having two or more NICs available to the guest at the same time would be a good thing too.

14. Andrew @ Parallels

1). Internally Parallels Desktop has version 2.2. We don't show it because Parallels Desktop is the first version for Mac.
    2) 3.0 is scheduled for this year - I can't give you precise date.
    3) USB 2.0 devices is already supported in Parallels Desktop at speed close to native USB 2.0 speed (so our emulated USB 1.1 controller works at the same speed as USB 2.0, but doesn't offer extended 2.0 interface). USB support in version 3.0 will be much better.

15. Menace

Menace Bit poster

So far my external USB hard drive is 20 times slower than normal and my SCR335 USB Smart Card Reader is not working at all.

16. agrj

agrj Member

Do you mean that USB devices will be fully supported only on version 3.0?

please, tell me that's wrong!!!

Thanks

17. wizzo

wizzo Junior Member

Do you have benchmarks on your USB hard drive running on Parallels and running on a real PC or Boot Camp to support your '20 times slower' claim?

I'd like to see them.

18. Menace

Menace Bit poster

If it takes 40 minutes with Parallels instead of 2 minutes with Boot Camp to copy something from an external USB drive to the Macbook Pro hard drive it`s 20 times slower.