Please help: Installer hangs in Leopard

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Jorg, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Jorg

Jorg Bit poster

Hi,

I was perfectly running Parallels Desktop (latest official build) in Leopard, when I read about the beta that was supposed to fix some Leopard issues. I downloaded it and tried to install it, but the installer hangs at "Running Parallels Desktop Installer Script". I had to force quit it.

Then I decided to download the latest official build (5160) and install it, but this also hung at installing. I uninstalled Desktop using the uninstaller, and tried to install again, but with no luck.

So now I am stuck, being unable to install Parallels Desktop. I urgently need it to work again, as I cannot perform my day job activities. Can someone please help, even by providing an ugly fix/workaround?

Thank you very much!

2. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

please check, if Internet Sharing is enabled (Mac -> System preferences -> Sharing). If so, please disable Internet Sharing. And try to install Parallels Desktop one more time.

Best regards,
    Stacey

3. Jorg

Jorg Bit poster

Stacy,

No, Internet Sharing is not active.

Thanks for a quick response. Any other suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2007
  4. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Please at the moment of freeze, open Terminal application (Applications - Utilities) and execute the commands below:
    cd /Volumes/Parallels Desktop/Install Parallels Desktop.pkg/Contents/Resources
    sudo ./preflight

Best regards,
    Stacey

5. Jorg

Jorg Bit poster

Stacy,

Thanks! This worked!

For others trying to apply this fix: Make sure to put the path in "brackets", because otherwise you'll get an error due to the spaces in the folder name.

Thanks again Stacy!

6. rictic

rictic Bit poster

I'm installing Parallels for the first time, experienced this problem, and this solution fixed it for me.

The command line operations (suitable for copy/paste) are:

cd "/Volumes/Parallels Desktop/Install Parallels Desktop.pkg/Contents/Resources"
    sudo ./preflight

the output I got:
    grep: /Applications/Parallels/Parallels.app/Contents/Info.plist: No such file or directory
    ./preflight: line 82: /Library/StartupItems/Parallels/Parallels: No such file or directory
    kextunload: /Library/StartupItems/Parallels/Pvsvnic.kext: no such bundle file exists
    can't add kext (file access/permissions).

(this stayed this way indefinitely, not yielding back to the prompt, so after the install was finished, I just closed the terminal window)

Thanks for the help!