Downgrade from 3 to 2.5

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by aidan, Jun 10, 2007.

1. aidan

aidan Member

Is there an official way to downgrade back to 2.5 from 3 until the some of the bugs are fixed. All my business applications used to work perfectly in 2.5, but now I'm having probelms with SQL Server 2005 and MS Graph (which I hope will be fixed soon). But in the mean time I need to run a working VM for business and I can't stop using the applications until the fix appears. Thanks.

2. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

uninstall parallels completely using the uninstaller in the 4124 dmg.

restore from your backup, your 2.5 VM. Remember, 3.0 VMs are NOT compatible with 2.5 PD

Install version 2.5 (3188 or the new 3212) and enter your old 2.5 licence if requested.

3. AlanH

AlanH Pro

Just a comment - I tried running Uninstall Parallels Desktop from my Build 4124 disk image. It told me Parallels Desktop is not installed on my system. I know this is not true, because I can still run the trial version.

I'll probably try to revert by manually removing all the items I can find on my hard drive relating to the current Parallels installation, but this is not an encouraging.

4. StupidlyPersistent

StupidlyPersistent Bit poster

Darkone,

Is Build 3212 still available online for download somewhere? I'm reverting back from 4124 for now.

Regards,
    StevenC

5. StupidlyPersistent

StupidlyPersistent Bit poster

Argh. Belay that. Should have tried the obvious route first. For others wondering the same thing, Parallels menu > Help > Check for Updates lists Build 3212.

Sigh. Must be all this diazapam...

Regards,
    StevenC

6. jaredbeck

jaredbeck Bit poster

I installed build 4124, tried it, and now I want to return to 3188.

I ran 4124's uninstall, restarted, then tried to install 3188. The installation failed, first warning me that I was installing over a newer installation, then saying "You cannot continue. There is nothing to install."

Does anyone else get this?

UPDATE: The 4124 uninstaller leaves a few files in /Library and ~/Library ... I deleted them and restarted and I was able to install 3188 :D

Last edited: Jun 11, 2007
  7. jbleiermd

jbleiermd Bit poster

where on the website can I re-download the old build?

8. jbleiermd

jbleiermd Bit poster

Problem w/Powerpoint in Parallels 3.0

I updated the new version 3.0 on top of the old version (3188, I think). Ever since then, when I try to use excel figures in powerpoint, the formatting gets ruined. Even If a open up a file that was previously embedded normally, opeing it up to edit it results in screwing up the formatting.

I tried repairing, then re-installing Microsoft Office 2003, but to no avail. I even created a new VM and re-installed Windows then Offic -- and still had the same problem! Any advice out there?

PLEASE HELP!

9. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

I think I'd toss in a reboot after the uninstall owing to the weirdness of the kernel module loading process.

10. jbleiermd

jbleiermd Bit poster

if I deleted the download, where can I get a copy of 2.5?

11. John Howard

John Howard Hunter

3212? Never saw that one. But then again I may not have paid close enough attention; never got an email announcing it so i didn't check

12. jbleiermd

jbleiermd Bit poster

I tried to follow the link from my original purchase of v2.5, but it no longer worked. Does the website have any of the older versions. It is already paid for.

13. bahman

bahman Bit poster

Link to download 2.5 please?????? 3.0 is not ready to be public yet, please stop delivering software that is not fully tested.

14. wingdo

wingdo Pro

Sweet jeebus, can people not use the forum searches? I did a search on 'link 3188' and got oodles of threads with active links to both 3188 and 3212 in them.

http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=12777&highlight=link+3188

First thread in the search. The saddest part of all is that at the bottom of THAT thread is someone (dkp i think) asking people why they can't use search as he links to an even older thread with the same image links in it. (that thread being http://forum.parallels.com/thread12706.html which has the admins posting the links.)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2007
  15. bahman

bahman Bit poster

I don't how old you are or when you start using forums. And I truly hope you're not put into our position. So to answer your stupid question, NO, when you're about to lose tons of data or have to spend all f...ing night rebuilding your computer you're not in the mood to search for every single word. The first post you see with a google search, you post to it. Grow up! And thanks for the links.

16. wingdo

wingdo Pro

Hmmm, started using forums back when they were called BBSs back in the 80s. As an IT engineer, I've had to rebuild more servers than I can recall and have had to deal with hundreds of angry users wondering why the Exchange mail server would ever crash. So I feel for your position.

No google search was used, just the internal forum search. I just find it odd that people who are in a hurry for life or death information would make a post and wait until someone answers it instead of even bothering to search the forum you are on. There are over 20 other threads with people asking where to download 2.5 again, and every one of those threads someone posted a link.

17. Rachel Faith

Rachel Faith Hunter

Ignore Wingnut.... He replies to everyone with that arrogance, almost like he enjoys pissing in the coffee just to see yer reaction. I've yet to see him actually be helpful to anyone. He even complains about the complainers. LOL

18. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Just a minor point. Searching for the information is a direct action. Asking for the link is an indirect action that has no assurance of success. Asking for a link is also a form of searching but a very inefficient form. One thing that anyone can do is search every one of these forum pages far more efficiently and faster by using Google as they have copies of every page here and many pages that have been deleted.

Lastly, there was nothing stupid about the question, but your answer reveals a lot about your sense of entitlement.

19. fbronner

fbronner Pro

Verify your regional settings in your windows XP session, also make sure you the fonts you need in you powerpoint and excel are present on your windows machine if these files were not originally created in your VM.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2007
  20. fbronner

fbronner Pro

And when have you posted something useful?