Keyspan USB Server Conflict with Network Adapters

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by dvargo, May 5, 2007.

1. dvargo

dvargo Bit poster

Found this in the forum after the fact. After a long time trying to troubleshoot having access to only bridged networking, I stumbled across the fact that the Keyspan kernal extension conflicts the intallation of the parallels network adapters. Did not see a workaround on the web. All works well once keyspan usb server is uninstalled. Here is the link for the uninstaller:

http://www.keyspan.com/downloads-files/us4a/macosx/

Dan Vargo

2. nycruza

nycruza Hunter

I am running the Keyspan USB Server on both my Mac and in Parallels using Windows XP without any problems.

ajm

3. halberstadt

halberstadt Member

Is your server the model US-4A, and are you running the latest Keyspan USB Server Mac software version 1.3.4? With that combination, I had exactly the same problem Dan Vargo had. Specifically, the system extension "KeyspanNHCI-T.kext" version 1.3.4 causes the problem. After installing Parallels, if that extension is present, it deletes the ports "en2" and "en3" needed by Parallels.

Bill Halberstadt

4. nycruza

nycruza Hunter

Running US4A and latest software.
    I am also running Windows XP.
    Neither of you have stated which variety of Windows you are running.
    Also using OSX 10.4.9 on a MBP.

BTW: I do not have any file labeled "KeyspanNHCI-T.kext anywhere on my system.
    I do have "com.keyspan.KeyspanNHCI.plist"

ajm

5. dvargo

dvargo Bit poster

Also running 10.4.9, fullly upgraded with software update. Running Parallels version 3188 with windows XP via the bootcamp partition. USB server version is 1.3.4. When I look in the system/library/extensions folder I do have a KeyspanNHCI-T.kext file. Maybe keyspan will run on intel with a lower version? Maybe it is the return of the extension conflict circa os9? I remember when Apple came out with OSX they siad it was the end of the extension conflict. This is #2 for me.

6. nycruza

nycruza Hunter

Which MAC are you using?

I might also point out, my Keyspan runs under BC, Parallels virtual, or Parallels using BC.
    My network in Parallels is set to Bridged.
    My en1 (airport) is used for Internet and Ethernet port (en0) is attached to Keyspan.
    Other PCs in the house run Keyspan and they are connected via the MBP, not the gateway.

ajm

7. halberstadt

halberstadt Member

Ajm: My MacBook Pro is a Core 2 Duo. Both Dvargo and I are running Windows XP Pro under Parallels. However, the problem is probably independent of what you are emulating, as it appears before starting the virtual machine. You said you are using Bridged Networking. Does "Shared Networking" also work for you? I have always been able to use "Bridged Networking", as it does not require the en2 or en3 ports that are deleted by the Keyspan kext.

I find it very unususal that when you install Keyspan USB Server version 1.3.4 (on the Mac) it does not install KeyspanNHCI-T.kext in your ~/system/library/extensions folder. Can you verify your Keyspan software version?

No aspect of our problem involves Keyspan software on the PC side.

Bill H.

Last edited: May 6, 2007
  8. dvargo

dvargo Bit poster

Running on MBP Core Duo. You cannot run Keyspan on the mac side without NHCI-T.kext. Tried it and it doesn't work. Also, this file will not come up in a spotlight search, you have to look for it. Have you tried to run in Shared Mode? That is the problem. I have been able to use bridged, but I travel alot and bridged leads to numerous problems when you connect in hotels. Need to have shared.

DVargo

9. Franck Sartori

Franck Sartori Bit poster

Youpi ! Uninstalling the Keyspan USB Server software on my MacBook Pro 10.4.9 has solved the problem I had with the disabled "Shared Networking" option. It surely exists a conflict between the Keyspan kext and the Parallels kext. When I'll be back home, I will try to reinstall the Keyspan software to verify if it can be reinstalled AFTER the Parallels ports are fully configured. Thanks for the hint !

10. halberstadt

halberstadt Member

I can pretty much guarantee that reinstalling the Keyspan software will nuke your Parallels Shared Networking ports. It may (or may not) take one boot to do it, but there seems to be no way around it with the current versions of Parallels and Keyspan USB Server.

Bill Halberstadt

11. serv

serv Forum Maven

Guys,

We're investigating the problem. There's no clear connection between Parallels and Keyspan drivers and we're communicating Apple on this.
    Changing driver load order to load Pvsvnic.kext first and KeyspanNHCI-T.kext last would solve the problem. Unfortunately there's no simple way to do this. You can try moving /System/Library/Extensions/KeyspanNHCI-t.kext to /Library/StartupItems/NHCI/ and kextload Keyspan kext from /Library/StartupItems/Parallels/Parallels after Pvsvnic.kext. But I understand this is not user friendly solution. Stay tuned...

12. nycruza

nycruza Hunter

Correct!
    The first attempt at locating I used "find"
    Manually going to the associated folder did find the ktext file!
    As for the question on "shared".
    I never used it, don't want to use it, have no desire to use it.
    And since things work as is, no desire to experiment :)

ajm

Last edited: May 8, 2007
  13. nycruza

nycruza Hunter

Are you autoloading the Daemon at startup?
    Now that memory serves me, I initially had a problem after upgrading to 10.4.9
    I removed the daemon from the login items and everything once again worked.
    No idea if this has any relationship to your problem.

Another point:
    When I first upgraded to 10.4.9, OSX would go into a Kernel panic as soon as it tried to connect to the Keyspan.

I reinstalled base Tiger and everything worked again. I then downloaded the Combo upgrade and it has been working ever since.

For what it's worth my Keyspan is set as follows:
    OSX Side:
    Connect Mode: Multi-User
    IP Address (of Keyspan) 169.254.44.200
    Subnet: 255.255.0.0
    Gateway (MBP ethernet port) 169.254.44.222
    UDP Port: 3842
    TCP Port: 3842
    Password: No
    Local Server Settings: Yes
    Discovery: Braodcast & Multicast
    Multicast: 239.255.176.42
    Exclusive Access: No
    Cient: 169.254.44.222 GHP2006

Windows Side Same Except
    Client: 169.254.44.222 GHP2006
    Client: 169.254.52.199 AJM0B 4E

ajm

Last edited: May 8, 2007
  14. halberstadt

halberstadt Member

Keyspan USB Server (Shared Network grayed out) Problem

I am very unhappy to report that the conflict between Parallels Shared and Host-only networking, and the Keyspan USB server software still exists in version 3. You cannot have the Keyspan USB Server software installed and use either Shared Networking or Host-only Networking in Parallels.

A little over a month ago, "Serv" of the Parallels Team acknowledged this (see above) and asked us to "stay tuned". Serv, is there any hope for an early solution? There is no other software/hardware that does what the Keyspan USB Server does, so we are stuck until this is resolved.

Bill Halberstadt

15. nycruza

nycruza Hunter

Sorry to hear you are still having problems.
    It still works with Bridge.
    In fact even better, because now I can connect it to an Airport Express on the wireless side allowing ALL PCs to access. En 1 remains enabled and have disabled en 0.

ajm

16. halberstadt

halberstadt Member

"Bridged" Networking does indeed work. However, that is generally considered inferior to "Shared Networking". There are several things you cannot do with Bridged Networking. For instance, use a Bluetooth Cellphone internet connection established in Mac OS, in the VM.

17. nycruza

nycruza Hunter

Personally, I would not refer to one type of networking as being inferior or superior to the other. It comes down to personal needs.

For me windows is required for 2 programs unavailable to Mac and the ability to printer to any of 4 printers from these 2 programs.

If I needed all the requirements or EXPECTED all the requirements of Windows, I'd use BC or buy a cheap PC.

But that's me :)

ajm

18. halberstadt

halberstadt Member

I agree with different network settings needs for different people. However, my comment is supported by the Parallels User Guide saying that Shared Networking is "preferred", and it is the default selection. With that setting, your Windows environment is generally not exposed to access from the "outside world".

The facts remain that the Parallels conflict with Keyspan software removes 2 of the 3 choices for networking, including the "preferred" choice of Shared Networking; Parallels is aware of the conflict; and it is not yet fixed.

Bill Halberstadt

19. nycruza

nycruza Hunter

Bill,
    Don't get me wrong - I completely agree with what you are saying.
    One thing - Shared has never come-up as a default selection on my system.
    Parallels from day one has always defaulted to Bridge here.
    As for the outside world - with a firewall in place and a secure wireless network, maybe I'm foolish, but I don't worry about it. Especially given the limited amount of time I access windows in a given week.

ajm

20. halberstadt

halberstadt Member

It didn't come up as the default selection on your installation because, as you have posted earlier, you have the Keyspan USB Server software installed, and that disables Shared and Host-only Networking in Parallels.